586,005 active members*
5,321 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Waterjet General Topics > Magnet or Suction for loading/unloading ideas?

Magnet or Suction for loading/unloading ideas?

I work in a shop with a 8' X 20' Plasma table. Currently I load the plates with a bigger sized forklift with 6' forks. It becomes extremely difficult to load thinner plates (1/8" - 1'4") that are 20' in length as they bow, sometimes needing 2 forklifts to load. Also when cutting thicker plates it is difficult to muscle them onto the forks one by one when taking off the table. Our building structure can not support a crane so as of now I think forklift is our only option?

We want to put a guard rail up in front of the table so forklifts cannot run into the the rail, but in doing so it will make it even more difficult to get plates on and off the table.

Does anyone do something different or know of any ideas as for remote magnets or suction cups for a forklift to lift the plates on and off the table?

I worked at a mold shop many years ago and they had magnets to load VERY heavy parts onto the mills and such. I remember being so nervous the first time I had to do it, but quickly gained confidence. At first, I couldn't believe the magnet would hold the part, I though for sure they were crazy.
    And build a gantry that slides onto your towmotor forks and exends 5' past the tip of the fork with a hook for chains or straps to attach to hoist magnets. They will pay for themselves as soon as someone doesn't get hurt trying to muscle around a 600lb plate of material.
    My material supplier uses a clamp that is basically bolted to the center edge of the plate and they just lay it on it's edge and tip it down to load 4' X 10' plates up to 1/2" thick on thier sheer. Problem with that is it leaves marks in the material.
    Magnetic Hoist's: http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/114/1444

Magnets work great on material that does not flex much. With lighter gage sheets the flex tends to break the magnetic hold. Personally on anything lighter than 3/16 (and then with caution) I would not trust magnets. I like a positive mechanical connection. Consider making a spreader bar with nylon or steel chokers that spread to the sides. On the end of the chokers use a slip on mechanical clamp. That way you handle the sheet flat with a fork lifts tines above the sheet with the spreader bar. I use an overhead beam w/ a trolleyed elec. lift for mine w/ a spreader.

just saw this picture of a loader system. Maybe some homebrew version of this using magnets or suction attached to the forklift tynes or an A framed gantry crane with wheels.
    http://www.yehchiun.com/e-nc-ycs-f-fr.htm
    Never thought I'd see the day when we started copying things from China. I thought it was supposed to be the other way around. Just kidding!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stacker loader.bmp  

you could use a magnet on the spreader beam for handling up to 3/16" using magnet.
    the magnet are electro permanent in nature so that magnetic filed is already very small and they can handle loads easily.
    moreover, if there is a power failure, the lifted load will not drop.
    moreover, you could select one sheet from a stack, without the use of any other mechanism.
    do check out the product details in http://www.sardamagnets.com/showtable.asp?prodid=56
    you could also see a video of the same in http://www.sardamagnets.com/video.asp

There are quite a few manufacturers of plate lifting magnet systems as well as vacuum lifts. These systems can be configured to lift heavy and large plates.....I have seen 20 x 40 pieces of 7/8" steel handled with magnetic lifts on overhead cranes. Try googling plate magnets...you'll probably find plenty of hits.

Jim Colt

well magnets are definetly the way to go if the design is correct. The magnets never loose their holding power, and suction is just a waste of electricity in my eyes. Both magnets and suction have many pros/cons. If using mag. the thinner material is not as important as what type of material. It would be pretty difficult lifting a plate of alum. with mag......lol

If you are interested in purchasing magnets please contact me, send me a PM or my cell # is 407 970 5771 (dustin). I have boxes of some of the strongest magnets in the world, and im just trying to get rid of them. They are 1"x2"x1/2" Neodymium n42 magnets with nickel plating. I also have N50s and N90s also but not as many. They are not elec. magnets, but if designed properly can be utilized.