585,668 active members*
4,183 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

make money from engraving?

I wonder how you make the money from laser engraving. what I meen is that I would like to start up a business engraving pictures on mirrors, acryl and wood. I already engrave pictures on gold and silver pendants that's a different processs. These I sell to jewelers in belgium. so I'm in fact a wholesalere. . I have the the experience to set it up, but my question is: how much do you ask a customer (a store that sells it again to the public) to engrave a picture on mirror, acryl or wood. To engrave a picture on a gold or silver plate I charge them 15 € and they ask 35 € (only the work, without the pendant). nobody has already said that I expensive, so the people are willing to pay that, but I don't know how much they are willing to pay for an engraved mirror.
    You have to take in consideration that a laser engraver cost much more then my impact engraver.
    has anybody expierence with this, or suggestions.
    many thanks

Hi bruno,
    Welcome to the forum.

We have sold a few 12" (300mm) engraved mirrors to the general public and we charge $49.95 and it takes us about 3 to 3 1/2 hours to do 1 mirror with our 30 watt laser. (full power at 3 ips)

They either like the mirrors or they don't as it's not everyone's cup of tea.
    Some sites in the USA charge $99 for theirs.

Mostly we just engrave mirror tiles but sometimes we do mirrors with frames which sell a lot better. People don't want to waste time getting them framed themselves.

Here are some examples of what they are like and it's taken me about 100 hours to get to this stage but I still have some improvement as I don't think they are up to my standards yet. (but getting better)
    Rich.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beatles.JPG   CharlizeTheron.JPG   Marilyn.JPG  
    I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example.

Hi Rich, are this mirrors plastic or real glass? doyou engrave it at the face or the back?
    regards
    Luis

Hi Luis,
    The mirrors are real glass tiles from Ikea and sell for $19.95 for 4 of them. Rounded edges are ground around all 4 sides and they are quite a nice tile.
    We engrave the back coating off then paint with good quality black paint. You could use different colours but I don't have the time yet to do stuff like that.
    I bought a sheet of mirrored acrylic and it cost about $300. The size was 1200 x 2400 x 2.5mm but I haven't got around to engraving it yet as we use it for wedding cake toppers.
    Glass is a lot cheaper here.
    Rich.
    I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example.

wedding cake toppers? whats that, can you post a photo?
    I´ve engraved that acrylic mirrors but I dont like it to much...
    Luis

Quote Originally Posted by lamicron View Post
    wedding cake toppers? whats that, can you post a photo?
    I´ve engraved that acrylic mirrors but I dont like it to much...
    Luis
    Luis, something like this I think. http://www.whitecrushwedding.com/

Skip