585,727 active members*
4,155 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Mentors & Apprentice Locator > Mentors needed for high school students

Mentors needed for high school students

Hi
    I am a new member to the board. I am a high school teacher in Niles IL and we are starting CNC / CAM class next year. We just bought a Hass TM1 and Hass TL1. I have a background in CAD and just signed up for a cnc class at the local college. I would love to help people in the area with designing/ creating parts for people in the area. We are looking for ideas/projects for the students. The students have a strong background in 3d CAD. We also have a 3D printer that the students use to protype their designs.
    Thanks
    Ken
    (nuts)

When I was in school, 15 years ago, we made chess pieces turned out of aluminum and the chess board on the mill. Each student had to CAD design and hand program the board and chess pieces, pictures for reference.
    Then for 3D milling, we had to make a simple mold out of a block of aluminum, had to pour RTV silicone and the part had to be exactly what was drawn on CAD, again, up to the student to design.
    But the standard manual machining first.
    Just idea's.

Thanks

Mentors

Hi Ken,
    I read your post and might be able to provide you with some mentorship. How do you envision this taking place? A local Community College is a Haas Demo center and I know the teacher who heads that program. Let me know what you're thinking.
    Teddy

We started a new progam from Project Lead the Way. PLTW.org This year we our teaching a engineering design class, AP grade level with the top students. next year we will be starting the CNC/CIM class. What I have noticed this year is the students are going faster on projects. Also we bought a much larger CNC mill/lathe. Most schools buy a tabletop mill that will cut wax. We got a great deal on the Hass TM1 & TL2. that I feal we should do larger projects. Right now he have a job shadow program plus a ask the expert day. I could use "experts" in CNC to use as guest speakers or Email mentors. or virtual mentors were we use Skype to design and build a part.
    Which CC has the Hass trainers?

Oakton CC is down the street and is a great resource
    Thanks
    Ken

Chicago Designer needs mentor/apprentices

I am a Chicago designer who has just invested a great deal in software and machinery in need of mentors and apprentices to help make this investment profitable. Please reply in this forum---bucci