585,951 active members*
4,017 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Newbie Q: (Mach/Gcode/Tormach?) display vars?

Newbie Q: (Mach/Gcode/Tormach?) display vars?

New to this list and to CNC. Got a Tormach in August but haven't had much time to learn to use it. Been reading the manual, Mach manuals, etc. Here's my question:
    When you set a variable in G-code (#1=1.500 for example) is there a way to find out what it is? Other than driving an axis to what it is, I mean. I tried "(msg, #1)" and just got the literal character string displayed.
    This is not so much of a problem in the simple example above, but if I'm assigning a calculated value, I'd like to be able to see what the calculation yeilded before telling the machine to do it. OK, I'm trying to approach this as I would programming in a non-cnc context, say in C or whatever, so I'm looking for the print function... So is there a whole different way one approaches debugging in G-code?
    Or is there a way to run G-code and see results without delivering them to the machine?

Thanks for any help, -Dick

Quote Originally Posted by rc33 View Post
    Or is there a way to run G-code and see results without delivering them to the machine?
    Offline Button
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks.

That worked.

(Actually, at least on the Vista version of the Tormach version of Mach, it's not exactly a button; it's the "Control Offline" menu item on the Operator menu.)

-Dick

also:

Under the main menu, go across to "Operator" then "G code Var Monitor"
    this will bring up a dialog box, you put in the stored Parameter number in the parameter box, and the value of that paramter will show in the value box.

so, if lets say you have your example: (#1=1.500 for example)

in the dialog you type in "1" in the parameter box, and hit the update button, then "1.5" will appear in the value box, (obviously only if you set it by G code, MDI or VB script.

If you do a custom macro you can get and set Parameter vars like this:

GetVar(var#) 'parameter number in the parenthesis
    SetVar( var#, value (as double))

scott
    Commercial Mach3: Screens, Wizards, Plugins, Brains,PLCs, Macros, ATC's, machine design/build, retrofit, EMC2, Prototyping. http://sites.google.com/site/volunteerfablab/

Thanks Scott,
    Sounds like just what I was looking for. But unfortunately, the Operator menu on my system doesn't have anything like "G code Var Monitor" -- just "Control Offline" and two other items, apparently unrelated. (My system has a Dell with Vista, configured with Mach3 by Tormach.) Unless I'm misunderstanding something-- perfectly possible, as I'm very unhandy with Windows, being a Mac user. But trying not to be grumpy about Windows.
    Yes, I see I will want to get with VB at some point. But lots to absorb.

Appreciate you suggestions, -Dick

The Tormach version of Mach3 has been configured by Tormach and has lots of menu items, considered as unsafe for us dummies to fiddle with, removed or hidden. It protects Tormach from being swamped with calls from customers who have gotten themselves into a mess with too much fiddling.(chair)

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by rc33 View Post
    Thanks Scott,
    Sounds like just what I was looking for. But unfortunately, the Operator menu on my system doesn't have anything like "G code Var Monitor" -- just "Control Offlin" and two other items, apparently unrelated. (My system has a Dell with Vista, configured with Mach3 by Tormach.) Unless I'm misunderstanding something-- perfectly possible, as I'm very unhandy with Windows, being a Mac user. But trying not to be grumpy about Windows.
    Yes, I see I will want to get with VB at some point. But lots to absorb.

Appreciate you suggestions, -Dick

opps..........Yeap, I forgot that Tormach limited the Mach screen........

sorry.

scott
    Commercial Mach3: Screens, Wizards, Plugins, Brains,PLCs, Macros, ATC's, machine design/build, retrofit, EMC2, Prototyping. http://sites.google.com/site/volunteerfablab/

Tormach vs Mach 3 Machine software

This is a little off topic but now that you mention about Mach 3 being modified by Tormach... Can Mach 3 be installed and run easily on a machine with the Tormach version already installed. That is, is there a parameter or config. file with the machine configuration parameters that would have a common name or format between the two versions? Or would I have to start from scratch and create a new configuration/setup file once Mach 3 is installed.

I would like to make some modifications to my machine down the road and would need additional I/O and features that Mach 3 would have so I'm thinking that I may want to play with Mach 3.

Are there any features that are built into the Tormach version that wouldn't be available in Mach 3.

The machine I am doing for the Tormach ATC is run directly by standard Mach3...............

Having said those things, Like was mentioned above, Tormach did what they did for a reason, and I can't say that I blame them one little bit.

I am going to say this, meaning NO Disrespect in any way. When you learn enough about how to use, and customize Mach3, then you will be able to do what you want and install standard Mach3, and at the same time keeping all the Tormach Configurations, and abilities it currently possesses.

I am not saying this to make you mad, or make out like I am some kind of Yoda Mach Guru or something. It is just that Standard mach gives the user ALOT of power and options, if you dont understand what those options do, then you can quickly end up with a Broken Machine, or a non-functioning controller.

If Greg or other Tormach representitive would like to release a "How To" document on doing the above, then I will leave that decision to them. Perhaps one of them would be willing to comment on this issue on this thread.

I am putting on the "2cd Annual Mach3 Convention South East" in April09. At this event, I and a few other instructors go very, very deep into Mach control systems, and customizing. there will be three levels: basic, intermediate and (OEM Advanced).

Brian of Artsoft is also going to be doing some classes at Cabin fever in York, PA in Jan, his classes will be more general in nature.

If you really want to learn mach, dig into the "www.machsupport.com" and goto the forum there, or come to a class.

Scott

Good answer Scott. I certainly can relate to everything that you said and agree that Tormach made a wise choice in providing their own version of the software. Most people do no want to be overwhelmed with features that they will never use and will complicate learing to use the machine.

I probably should have prefaced my questions by saying that I am not a CNC operator or machinist wanting to learn to modify my Tormach but just the contrary. I have been designing, building and programming motion control systems for over 20 years and started out using a Parker Compumotor PC23 stepping motor indexer to do multi-axis coordinated/synchronized motion to do trimming of complex geometries. This was when micro-stepping drives first hit the market.

I have downloaded and read the Mach manual and have a good idea of it's power and that it creates a configuration file for the machine parameters. I just have not had a chance to compare it in detail with the Tormach version. Which I certainly plan on doing!

I have two goals in mind... one is to enhance the ability of my PCNC 1100 to better fit my needs and second is to possibly incorporate them into our manufacturing processes (at my real job) to perform secondary operations on low volume products.

I do not like having to "reinvent the wheel" and feel that Tormach did an outstanding job of designing a very cost effective and quality machine. One of the things I like in particular is it's "open" design that would allow it to be easily customized to fit various applications. It also opens the door for other creative people to expand on its capabilities in ways that maybe Tormach may have never dreamed of.

Contact me off list:

my email: poppabear"at"hughes.net

we can discuss it there via email, if you want.

Scott