585,749 active members*
3,819 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC conversion to Mach Control

We have a older CNC Bed mill. It is some sort of company retrofit. It is called Racer Tech.

Anyway we have found that the software on the machine is limited. It is dos format(which is ok) and it wont move 3 axis at once. It is also very basic from a control standpoint. Hard to edit programs on the control and such.

My questions is has anybody changed a CNC machine to Mach software? How hard was it? Any problems? Advice?

Thanks

That CAT has been skinned

Retrofitting a CNC to MACH3 control has been done many times.

To better assess your path forward, you need to inventory your current system. Get and record the various info.

Axis motor info
    stepper or servo
    rated voltage amps
    torque (holding, peak, continuos)
    frame/mount size (if replacing)
    shaft size & lenght, dual for encoder, dimensions of encoder shaft (if replacing)

Amp/driver info
    control signal
    + 10 Vdc
    dir +10 Vdc
    dir & step
    Rated voltage and amps

Armed with this information you can start searching and reading threads and start choosing a path.

If considering MACH3 also consider EMC2.

If you are looking for more turnkey or packaged kits, maybe look at Centroid, Ajax, or Camsoft.

Your journey begins.

Thanks for the response.

What replaces the drivers for the servos?

If I understand this correctly. Mach software is the control portion but what is needed to give feedback to the servos. Basically what I am trying to do is go from a 2.5axis machine to a full 3 axis machine. The software on the machine now will not make a x y and z move at the same time(ex N45 G01 X.0 Y5.3 Z 3.5)

Any insight?? Very much a newbie on what I need.

On the road...

Correct, Mach3 and your PC constitute your controller. It is capabale of 3 axis interpolated moves, and I believe up to 6 axis (personally I haven't even delved much into the 4th).

You may be able to keep your drivers and servos depending on the type and how you want to 'interface' with Mach/PC. The most direct/straight forward interface route is parallel port to optional BOB (breakout board) to step/dir capable servo drivers/amplifiers (e.g. Gecko 320) with encoder feedback to the drive.

Your current servos and amps are likely not step/dir and encoder feedback, but more probable +10 analog with tachometer and encoder or resolvers for feedback to the amp/controller. If you wish to retain these, you will need to look into alternative interface hardware, e.g. Galil, CNCBrain, or EMC2(PC control SW) and Mesa 5i20/7i33, etc.

Your z is currently servo driven? Just not interpolated moves?