Hi, im new with servo motor. I have this servo motor from Shinko Electric Japan Type 5000. The product id for the motor is SSM 5015 and driver SSD 5015.

Ive been reading the threads and i learnt a lot. I am really interested in the 3 modes of operation which is position, speed, and torque control.

I am currently trying to build a plasma/acetelyne cutting machine using 2 servo motor/drive for the X and Y axis. First, i was thinking of using position control, breaking down the shape of anything that i want to cut become X and Y coordinates. Cutting a bit complex shapes like circles/arcs shouldnt be a problem.

However, when i read about the other type of controls (torque and speed), im interested to hear more about it. Can i do the same task with the torque control? i particularly interested in that since Al and mariss said it gives better performance. I cant think of how do i control the torque to produce, lets say circular motion which needs the X and Y motor to be in a exact position at a given time.

Thanks