584,860 active members*
4,945 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hypertherm 900

hi,

Ive just picked up a second hand hypertherm 900 with a drag gun, since i want to use it with my cnc can anyone let me know where i stand with that, should i "drag" the gun or will it cut properly if not in contact with the metal? im a bit concerned about the idea of it being in contact flying around at speed, thats got to me recipe for a mess, how will it go with thc if its not in contact?

any help would be appreciated

thanks

matt

IF you have a working THC a drag tip setup does not work well. The good news is that the screw-on sheild cup is what makes it a drag torch. You can change the Shield Cup, and consumables to be a machine cutting torch even though it's a hand torch. You are correct. Sliding around on a sheet with existing cuts at 100+ IPM with a drag tip can make for some interesting effects !

not sure if anyone can help me but ive just received my plasma (bought it s/h from fleabay) and it doesnt appear to have the cnc interface that it was described have, just wondered if it was possible to buy this as a part and fit it? or what my other options are, im aware that the thc systems out there use a device through which the hot lead is passed which picks up voltage, also there has to be a arc ok signal, im just looking to learn all about my options, i wasnt expecting to need to but looks like ive got to!!

Thanks for the help

The 900 does not have the instant CNC connections that the 1000 series has. That being said you can get to the Torch Switch (probably the Orange & Purple wires out of the hand torch cables). That should put you in parallel with the torch swtich so that a relay (NO contacts) when energized will fire the torch. It leaves the torch so that EITHER a pull on the trigger or activation of the relay will fire the torch so that you can dismount the torch and use it manully with the CNC inactive.

The tip volts access will have to be by tracing the electrode wires (usually multiple white wires) from the torch cable and the Workclamp connection. That gives you the RAW (full) tip volts. Depending on the THC you chose, there should be a divider card that will take the raw volts and feed the THC with what it needs.

The final challenge is to get the Arc Okay (Arc Good). Once again that will depend on the THC you choose. Some do not use the Arc good and just tell you to set the pierce dwell time manually for each tyoe of material. That works for piercing but does not detect a misfire or lost arc while cutting.

We have always shipped a current sense transformer that goes on the primary AC side and trips a relay on the sensor card when it senses the input current. It gives any plasma the ability to have an ARC GOOD signal. There is also a way to use a Reed Switch wrapped with several turns of heavy wire and inserted in the Workclamp lead to provide an isolated Arc Good signal.

TOM CAUDLE
    www.CandCNC.com

The 900 can be used for drag cutting or standoff cutting. There are hundreds of the older model PlasmaCam 98-z machines that have a drag height control that works well (I used to own one)....the newer PlasmaCam machines use an arc voltage torch height control that holds a standoff....It can use either the drag style torch shield or the machine style torch shield from Hypertherm.

It is important...once the material thickness exceeds about 3/16" that you pierce with the torch at the manufacturers recomended pierce height to direct the pierce blowback away from the nozzle and shield orifice.

Jim Colt