584,805 active members*
5,200 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > CNC Wood Router Project Log > Not sure I'm ready for this - I've started building!
Page 11 of 21 910111213
    Art did a bang-up job putting together a pair of tutuorial videos for Mach3:

http://www.machsupport.com/Inputs-Ou...ts-Outputs.swf

Even though the tutorial is for Mach3, I think he did an outstanding job of explaining how to jog back off of the limit switch when you trigger an error and the system goes into reset mode. At least that part of it should pertain to Mach2 users too.

Damae,

I've just sat through both tutorials and they are indeed excellent. I have not yet got Mach loaded onto a computer as I am still running Windows 98. As soon as I can persuade 'she who must be obeyed' that we need a new, domestic PC, I will clean this one up and install XP. It is a 2Ghz machine which should be perfectly adequate for Mach2/3.

I notice that Mach3 has now been officially released so it would seem to make sense getting the newest version from the beginning.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by damae
    ...tutuorial videos for Mach3...
    Damae,

So can you pause this during play? How?

Rance,

Yes you can - it took me a little while to find it because it was off the bottom of my screen but if you scroll down, the normal, video style buttons for 'Play', 'Pause', 'Fast Forward' etc. are all there.

Mike

Mike waay-ay back in this thread... you were having probs with the MDF mounting on to your bearings - yes I realise about your Composite plans and tempory nature of the MDF...that sounds great (Not that I know alot about Comps mind).

anyhow the thought occured to me that It might save you some future headaches if you changed that 'first' MDF board for something like an Aluminium plate - you can get lovely flat Ally plate sometimes called 'tooling' plate over here - ok it does cost a significant amount more, but heres the big plus - if you've got a half-decent plate - I'd guess at least 12mm from your size - I'm guessing somewhat there... then whatever you hang from that plate won't warp or twist the plate and the bearing assemblys behind them.

kind of rigid 'interface' plate if you like.

I'm reckoning you're going to want it anyway even with your composite structure. ?

sorry - if I'm way off track Mike.

Oh... hope that walls a good-un and don't forget to take it with you when you go :stickpoke LOL you lucky....

EDIT I realise you're past needing the pullys n belts but

http://www.hpcgears.com/ are worth trying - their catalogue's good, includes prices which is nice! unfortunately their website is very lacking in detail.

Pat

Pat,

I work quite a bit with composites and am always astonished at how much aluminium expands when heated. I make a lot of parallel carbon and glass tubes, anywhere from 200 - 500mm long, 3 - 40mm diameter. If I use aluminium for the mandrel, the carbon tube just slides off so easily after lowering the temperature of the mandrel. If I use a steel mandrel the tube is a ?*&$%?&% to get off, if I manage it at all.

Unfortunately I cannot afford a temperature controlled workshop and, when I retire, I would be spending a lot of time in a workshop where the temperature may range from below freezing to the high twenties (centigrade of course)

Now, I may be worrying too much here but aluminium has one of the highest coefficients of expansion of all the metals and I would be surprised if no-one has experienced troubles mixing steel and aluminium in a situation where temperature is likely to fluctuate a lot. I decided early on in the design process that I would not use aluminium for any of the parts where expansion may be a problem. The plate between the two rails is one such part. These THK blocks and rails seem to be quite fussy over the fit.

I appreciate that many, many here have made aluminium machines and I am perhaps way out of line but I also wanted to try something a little bit different. It may well come back to bite me one day - we'll see.

Thanks for the link to HPC Gears, I am bound to need more sometime.

Mike

ahh.. between the rails... yes, although it would be interesting to do the expansion calcs, I like thinking 'outside the box' as they say! so do keep up the posting, hope you wangle the time to crack on.

It won't bite... if you've nice wall anchors !! :cheers:

hi all., whats happened to the posts here, no one seemis to be working lol

Madmickiii,

I have put in an order for a thirty hour day but have been refused Even then, I doubt I would have the time this project demands. I am supposed to be writing school reports right now but you have side-tracked me - so that's another few minutes gone Only another one hundred and fift two to go

Seriously, I do not get enough time at the moment. As a school teacher and examinations officer, my time is prioritised elswhere whilst at school and it is only at school I can work on the machine so I'm afraid it's catch 22 at the moment.

After Christmas there should be a few weeks where progress can be made - all being well. Rest assured, I have not lost enthusiasm for it but am getting mighty frustrated - maybe that's another story

Mike

Hi Mike,

Guess it's that time of year, for you school folk's, what with mock exam's etc. I hope to keep a check on your progress ...

Mike

Nice thread, I am learning alot as well.
    Keep up the good work. And let us know of the progress too.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I did say, right at the start, that this would be a verrrrry long thread but I was expecting rather better progress than I am making. One of my current problems (no pun intended) is the electronics. I have all the necessary components and the enclosure but I am so short of confidence with anything electrical that I keep putting it off. I know that once I get it all installed and get the motors spinning, it will give me such a boost that the rest will seem like child's play.

I asked some time ago what was needed for a front panel and did not get any replies that were complete enough for me to have the confidence to start cutting out the front plate so it's still here waiting. I have more or less decided I want my Geckos mounted on the front with their associated heat sinks and fans (http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=186) but what else should there be? I have an ON/Off, illuminated power switch, an emergency stop button, three fuse holders (one for each drive) and an error LED. Should there be anything else?

Another thing is that the toroidal transformer I have has a multitude of wires coming from it and I haven't a clue as to which ones are which or how it should be wired. My electronics wizard friend is a very busy chap and I cannot bother him too much with my problems. It is a shame, as the control box is something I can do at home while waiting for school work to subside and give an opportunity to get back to work on the mechanics.

I do appreciate the prompts and do promise to get this thing going sometime.

Cheers,

Mike

It has been a while....

MikeF,

Just curious if you've made any further progress on your very interesting machine. I hope all is well in the UK. Take care and good luck.

jimmyd7
    jimmyd7
    A one eyed man is king among the blind.

Jimmy,

This is really weird. After quite a few months of inactivity, I receive two enquiries in two days!!

The truth is I have not had much time recently as I am preparing to leave for Khazakstan in ten days time for the Space Modelling World Championships where I am trying to defend my title in rocket gliding. I still do not have any models ready so time very tight. I have models from two years ago but they are one piece models and I need models that break down for transport.

It is for modelling purposes that I need the CNC too so it's almost catch twenty two.

After the World Champs it is my intention to get stuck into the machine. I now have the power chain and all the cabling - just need some electronic expertise to help put the control box together and I think I have that sorted too.

I did say, right at the start of this epic that it would be a long drawn out affair and that I would need the support of this forum to keep spirits up and it's good to see there are those out there taking an interest - it makes sooooooo much difference.

Thanks,

Mike

Smile

Well folks, I'm back from Kazakhstan - what a memorable trip it was too. Unfortunately, I could not retain my crown but did manage to get on the podium again, in third place. So, from first in the World to third - still not too bad

As for the machine - now the World Champs are out of the way, I cleared my bench, got all the control box components out, bullied my electronics mate into coming round and we promised ourselves that progress will be made.

More anon,

Mike

Welcome back MikeF

MikeF,

Good luck with further progress on this project. I can't wait to see the results. Your design is very unique, and should gain a lot of attention as more progress is made.

Jimmyd7
    jimmyd7
    A one eyed man is king among the blind.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
    Well folks, I'm back from Kazakhstan - what a memorable trip it was too. Unfortunately, I could not retain my crown but did manage to get on the podium again, in third place. So, from first in the World to third - still not too bad

As for the machine - now the World Champs are out of the way, I cleared my bench, got all the control box components out, bullied my electronics mate into coming round and we promised ourselves that progress will be made.

More anon,

Mike

Congrats on your third place, now back to the obsession of CNC.

Jason

Thanks Jason & Jimmy, maybe finishing the CNC will enable me to get back on top

Done some online buying today of bits and pieces for the control box, just some circular, power plugs and sockets and some finger guards for the fans. Oh, and my electronics friend came up with a 40000uf capacitor so if I parallel that with the existing 10000uf capacitor, I believe it should be in the right area. Yes?

On holiday for a week, next week, (half term don't you know) so hope to get some work done. It would be great to think I could get some motors spinning - we'll see. I'll post some pics as I go. I'm sure you guys will be on my case if I start slacking again!!

Mike

That's right, we will be on your case if you start slacking again.
    As of next week (mid-term holiday) we will expect daily progress reports inclusive of pictures.

Jason

Awesome day

I've had an awesome day today!!

I have actually started laquering the internal doors, hung some weeks back. She who must be obeyed was getting rather anxious that things around the house were not getting done. Oh, while the laquer was drying, I got stuck into the front panel of the control box.

The 4mm thick aluminium was rather soft and when I tried to mill the cutouts, the tool kept clogging so I had to resort to chain drilling first and finishing off with the milling cutter. Worked out rather well I think. After a slight amount of deburring og the cutouts, the heatsinks and fans were fitted. The heatsinks were drilled and tapped 4mm to take longer machine screws as they had to go through the finger guard, 4mm front plate and the fan before entering the heatsink. Everything fitted perfectly, first time.

Underneath the fans are the fuses for each drive and to the right are the E stop, on/off, illuminated switch, the momentary toggle switch for arming and disarming the Geckos and the empty hole is for the fault indicator.

I am well chuffed with today's progress and I get some brownie points too for the laquered door Well Jason, that's the first day of my half term and so far, so good.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IM000429.JPG   IM000430.JPG   IM000434.JPG   IM000445.JPG  

IM000446.JPG  

Page 11 of 21 910111213