586,024 active members*
3,801 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need help understanding software interaction

I'm very much a newb when it comes to CNC. I've been doing A LOT of reading and searching, and I think I finally understand the basic flow of the CNC process as far as software is concerned. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, as this is how I understand it:

Model generated in some kind of CAD software (such as Siemens NX or Autocad).

Model imported into CAM software (such as Siemens NX or Mastercam) for toolpath generation.

Post-Processor software (such as posthaste) used to create the code for the controller.

Controller software (such as Mach3) uses this code to direct the machine via physical controllers (i.e. gecko) and servos/steppers.

Took me WEEKS to sort all that out from bits and pieces I picked up here and through google. If I've got something wrong, please correct me so I can finally close this chapter of my learning experience. Thanks in advance!

SuperCamXp Drawings to Machine Motion

I think you pretty much got it figured out. What you described is pretty much the classic flow of the process.

I use that process for creating 3D contoured surfaces on a mill or CNC router.

Virtually all of my work revolves around two-dimensional pieces being made.

So, I created a program that runs the machine directly form 2D drawings. All I have to do is select items in the drawing and the machine follows the center line of the graphic and at a depth below the surface of the material that is preset. That way I do not normally have to concern myself with G code files. Ergo the drawing is the code.

This is way I thought it should be.

Dennis
    www.super-tech.com