586,009 active members*
4,900 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > V23 - Whats the deal?
Page 1 of 8 123

Hybrid View

V23 - Whats the deal?

Just received an email about V23. Loads of "new" features. Anyone have the inside scoop? I'm curious if this is another "fix" to v22 or perhaps new code?
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD

Let's keep the comments positive enough to keep the bobcad moderators from closing the thread

The CAM side looks to only have more of the features that were actually standard in v21.

I hope their sales force has some asbestos earplugs.

i cant get v22 to work properly why would they come out with v23. i cant trim a mirrored surface with out problems. none of my part settings work for dimensioning, i have to retype everything back in evertime i reopen a file. when i save a solid theres other solid files on top of it or off in space somewhere. evertime i shift a surface and save a file it is no good.
    any one have the same problems. there working on it so they say.

Hello,

BobCAD's goal has always been to provide each customer with exceptional service. We are excited about the new release of our V.23 software. If you have any questions or concerns, please PM me with your contact information and a brief description of any questions you may have. I will ensure your information is routed to the correct department in order to efficiently and effectively handle your concerns in full.

Regards,
    Chris Rinderle
    BobCAD-CAM , Inc.

Chris - That may be Bobcad's goal, but plenty of folks feel that Bobcad has fallen far short of meeting that. Rather than languish in all of the anger that v22 has generated, why don't you sell us on V23. Are the problems gone? Are we going to regret buying this?

Interesting that V22 is not available under the "Products" section of the BobCAD site.

Tikka,

As stated before, PM me with your contact information. Let us determine what we can do to help you get past any issues you may be facing or have faced.

I also suggest that you download the demo. Try some of the things that you did in the past, ask questions and then let the software sell itself.

Our goal is to, again, provide our end users with exceptional service.

Regards

I didn't say I had any past issues. I'm asking for information on V23. Sell me on it. Is it well written code? Is it going to be stable? That's all. If your response to that is simply for me to download the demo, then I'll take my business elsewhere.

Tikka,

I didn't mean to push you off.

There are a lot of things right in the new system:

1. Workoffsets - you can now select the workoffset you want to use per feature.

2. Carving - this is a 3D milling operation. It allows you to use a VTool to machine a closed chain. This is really useful for guys that want to apply a chiseled look to the fonts they are engraving. It also supports pocketing with an endmill and cleanup with the Vtool.

3. 4th Axis - the system now supports 4th axis wrapping and indexing. You can specify a rotation angle for the indexing or allow the system to pick up on the rotation of the UCS you use to create the operation.

4. UCS - the system now uses the location of the UCS to determine the location of the operation in the tree. You can use a different UCS for every operation in the CAM Tree and the system will utilize the 0,0,0 of the active UCS to determine locations in the program.

5. Arc Fit - the system now allows the user to output 3D arcs for Slice Planar operations that are parallel to the X or Y axis. The appropriate plane command is issued in the program and can be set to a non-modal state if needed. You can also use this with the Z-Level Rough and Finish operations.

6. Collision Detection for Lathe - this means that whether you are using a user defined tool shape or a shape predefined in the system, the toolpath will be compensated for the shape.

7. Pattern control for Profile and Pocket operations - if you have multiple pockets you need to machine you now have the ability to control the order in which the pockets are machined.

8. Pocketing Ramp enhancement - You can now use the ramp options without having to specify a start location. The inputs for the ramp include angle and number of steps. If your inputs do not allow for the specified ramp to be handled in one move, the system will use the toolpath that is generated by the system and adjust the ramp so that the depth that is desired is acheived in one ramp(with multiple moves). In most cases, if you are using a spiral ramp that would violate a wall, the Ramp is moved so that it does not gouge, if the shape allows for it to be moved.

9. Point Styles - You can now use additional point styles in the system.

10. Sprocket function - Yes, a sprocket function has been added.

11. Geometry that is selected for a Feature in the CAM Tree will highlight in the Workspace, when you click on the geometry item, to show you what is selected for the feature. When you Re-select the geometry, the previously selected entities remain selected so that you can add or remove geometry for the feature.

12. Surface intersection curves - if you have to surfaces that intersect and you need to create a wireframe chain to represent the intersection of the surface you can now do it with this function.

13. Break and Untrim Surfaces - you can now break surfaces based on a projected wireframe chain. This is helpful if you need to cut peices out of a surface. You can then replace the deleted pieces using the Untrim function.

14. Surface Extend - allows you to extend the edges of a surface a distance that you specify in the dialog.

15. Fillet Between Surfaces - You can now create a fillet between two unconnected surfaces.

16. Point Dimension - you can now dimension a point to determine the X, Y and Z location of the point and display it as a dimension.

If you would like to get more information or see some of these things in action PM me. I would be happy to explain anything that you may have a question on.

Regards
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by The One View Post
    5. Arc Fit - the system now allows the user to output 3D arcs for Slice Planar operations that are parallel to the X or Y axis. The appropriate plane command is issued in the program and can be set to a non-modal state if needed. You can also use this with the Z-Level Rough and Finish operations.
    Chris,

Can you expand on this?

Does this actually filter all the short moves that describe a radius into a single G2 or G3 move?

If so, that should be in big flashing font as the single largest improvement. (If it works).

moldmker

Need Answers

Chris:

A lot people just read these posts and don't speak up. I have been reading these posts for several years and have never spoken up until now.

First, let me say I am not happy with V22.

I only have one request. ANSWERS.

So that your answers can be seen by everyone, please post all of your answers in this forum. Your answers need to be
    honest and straightforward.

V22 has had many issues both for BC and the customer base. A lot of us have learned our lesson and don't want to repeat it with V23.

Your answer of "PM me" or "look at the demo " is not what we need to hear. The answers need to be in writting from a BobCad representative.

Regards

MrWild, the system has been in Beta testing for a little over three months, where we were making changes and adjusting the interface. It is quite stable on the testing platforms. We have used Windows Vista Ultimate and Windows XP Pro for testing platforms. We are finishing up the testing on the Windows Vista Ultimate 64 platform at this time.

Moldmkr, yes. The system filters through all of the linear moves generated by the toolpath algorithm and converts them into arc segments. The accuracy is based on a tolerance value that the user inputs into the feature.

tafc, The suggestion to PM me is so that concerns can be handled on a case by case basis. We have individuals ready to listen and help our customers. The suggestion to try the demo is so that you can see what has been done in the software. I could prattle on and on about how I feel the system has evolved, but in the end my opinion is not going to hold as much weight as the opinion of some one like yourself and that is why I encourage you all to take a look for yourself.

Regards
    Chris

When was it BETA tested, and how long was it tested? On what computers and operating systems? Fool me once....

I have no business with Bobcad... but i will request all of my colleague ..please do not play blame game.. Is it the right forum to put such questions???... Use the demo if its not working for u do not buy the software.. and if some of my colleagues bought the software and finding troubles then why not to ask directly to Chris...

Just my 2 cents
    Regards and sorry if some one hurt by my words

Quote Originally Posted by Khalid View Post
    I have no business with Bobcad... but i will request all of my colleague ..please do not play blame game.. Is it the right forum to put such questions???... Use the demo if its not working for u do not buy the software.. and if some of my colleagues bought the software and finding troubles then why not to ask directly to Chris...

Just my 2 cents
    Regards and sorry if some one hurt by my words
    Khalid,

Would you be concerned if you knew from previous users of the software that the software did not work as advertised? BobCAD advertises "no maintenance fees". They are partially correct, they sure don't offer maintenence at any price. But there is a fee, it comes in the form of a future version that may or may not be fixed. Just food for though Khalid. BobCAD has been in business for 23 years, this is V23. You do the math.

mmc005, Version 23 is an upgrade to Version 22 not an update. This means if you do decide to purchase you will get a new key that works for Version 23. If you have concerns, by all means PM me with your information and I will have some one ge in contact with you monday morning.

Rando, There have been enhancements to the Lathe module including collision detection. There are more planned, but the initial release of Version 23 is really a 3D Standard upgrade with some additions to the 2D Milling operations.

Regards,
    Chris R.

I can't agree more with some of the irate guys here. Tonight, I wrote a lengthy drawing and cut file, and half way through the part, the gcode cut my part out. I went back over everything and V22 decided not to follow the tree as I had programmed, skipped over a whole bunch of tool changes and other cuts, and went straight to the final cut, I can only guess because it was the same tool number. Is Version 23 going to do that too?

Some people will never ever ever ever ever learn. You get screwed once you get screwed twice so get screwed a third time. Everytime there is supposed to be answers but never happens. One thing has got to be for sure, Bob if he is the true owner, is a very rich man. Little money into development + thousands of ripped customers = lots of money. I am glad I didnt follow suit after I messed up once.

I fore one am glad Bobcad released V23....it was getting kind of boring in the on-line forums...

Page 1 of 8 123