584,842 active members*
4,641 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > V23 - The Adventure Begins
Page 1 of 2 12

V23 - The Adventure Begins

Received an email from Bob today announcing V23 and Bobart V23 which has V Carve capabilities.

Called Bob to find out if the new Art program would work with V22 software as an upgrade to my V22 Art. The sales guy refused to answer this simple question unless I provided him with my phone number. (said he had to look up my account information).

I didn't give my number since it would most likely spawn a series of daily calls from their sales reps. Frustration set in and I hung up.

Anyone know the answer to this question? If so - What is the upgrade cost?

FWIW, I highly doubt it. V22 isn't on the products section of their webpage, which implies they might not be seller it at all anymore. Because Art operates within BobCAD/CAM, it doesn't seem likely that the v23 art upgrade would work in v22 bobcad/cam
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD

They want your phone number because that is your BobCAD account number. They already have your number, so giving it to them again won't change the amount of calls.

V23 BobArt will not work with v22 because it is actually part of the program and not an add-on module like it was with V21. Every V22 program (and most likely v23) has BobArt embedded in it. It the dongle that decides whether you can access it.

Steve

You would need to upgrade to v23 to use the v-carve option.

I purchased Version 22.

Could never get it to work properly due to all the bugs.

They then released a bug fix with build 1137. It addressed some of the bugs

Several weeks later they release Version 23.

So now I have to pay for an upgrade that may or may not fix the existing bugs.

No doubt it will be full of bugs if we care lucky they might release one bug patch.

And then Version 24 will be released.

Seems to be a pattern forming here.

As someone who bought 2007 (v22) for personal use I can understand how anyone trying to use it professionally would feel really slighted.

I think the concept that BobCAD had for V22 is great but was too ambitious given all the other activities that needed to happen in this code build. If V22 would pocket around islands and remain stable I think it would be a great foundation for V23. In my opinion, with all the issues and changes that have happened through the evolution of V22 that 3 months of development and testing for a new build is too short considering there was never a solid foundation to build on from the previous generation code.

Now I know that BobCAD will point to the Vista change over as a big issue and they were not the only company to struggle with this new OS but they indicate they have this situation well in hand. I also believe that the jump to using 3D solids was a larger hurdle than BobCAD had anticipated when it planned to create 2007. From my interaction in using the software I believe that a number of issues are related to the code being unclean (no evidence just observational opinion).

I think the end users would like to know that BobCAD is working on making the basic machining functions work with no guess work on what the tool will do and then begin adding features (i.e. lace zig zag avoids islands but offset inside cuts through islands). All the posts from BobCAD point to adding features that are great and people will love to have, but if they add complexity to the code and end up making the product less stable or reliable they are not useful.

I know that BobCAD does not sell $10-$20K per seat software and lives by turning over build versions, but if you skipped a build and came out with a product that had the current features in V22 and was bulletproof you would not need to advertise or call people as your phones would ring off the hooks. For the price of BobCAD high functionality would blaze through this and the other machining forums.

I have used your phone support and those people are good but is is obvious that they are busy.

This post is not meant as a dig or knife wound. I think the product is promising and would like to see BobCAD put out a product that works with no issues where it counts (tool path generation). I think everyone on this thread would buy that version. I feel bad that your employees need to see such negative feedback on this forum and also the BobCAD support forum. As an Engineer I know how difficult it is to see people knocking on your work. I really hope BobCAD reads and appreciates this note as I would like to see this product grow to be the product is has the potential to be.

Like many on this thread I will not be signing up for V23 until I see that the end user feedback is overwhelmingly positive.

Happy holidays.

Todd

double amen to that.

Quote Originally Posted by spock View Post
    double amen to that.
    I'll reserve my amen until after my 2 HRS of training that I just purchased are over with...

Quote Originally Posted by TAB View Post
    This post is not meant as a dig or knife wound. I think the product is promising and would like to see BobCAD put out a product that works with no issues where it counts (tool path generation). I think everyone on this thread would buy that version. I feel bad that your employees need to see such negative feedback on this forum and also the BobCAD support forum. As an Engineer I know how difficult it is to see people knocking on your work. I really hope BobCAD reads and appreciates this note as I would like to see this product grow to be the product is has the potential to be.

Like many on this thread I will not be signing up for V23 until I see that the end user feedback is overwhelmingly positive.

Happy holidays.

Todd
    That about sums up my feeling on the matter. As much as I would like to try the new version, it's a matter of priniciple that I won't until the issues with V22 are resolved. It's almost there, but some of the issues are fundamental. Gouging the wall of a pocket? Unacceptable. Just happened yesterday to me in a 90,000 line program. How am I supposed to check that when it doesn't show up in the simulation? My material is $1500 a crack, thank god I ran it in a $50 piece of plastic for a test cut.

Not hating on the BobCAD, yet. Just fix it so I don't feel like a tool for upgrading just to get a maintenance release. :stickpoke

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SBC Cycle View Post
    That about sums up my feeling on the matter. As much as I would like to try the new version, it's a matter of priniciple that I won't until the issues with V22 are resolved. It's almost there, but some of the issues are fundamental. Gouging the wall of a pocket? Unacceptable. Just happened yesterday to me in a 90,000 line program. How am I supposed to check that when it doesn't show up in the simulation? My material is $1500 a crack, thank god I ran it in a $50 piece of plastic for a test cut.

Not hating on the BobCAD, yet. Just fix it so I don't feel like a tool for upgrading just to get a maintenance release. :stickpoke
    News Flash
    Sorry to tell you but it has been past practice, once a new version comes out
    the last is no longer supported ! Bobcad has been in business for 23 Yrs.
    Now they are on V23,,,,,, looking toward V24 Do the math.
    "I'll keep my gun, my ammo, my money, my freedom and you can keep the "CHANGE" !

Unhappy Moved from a different Thread...

... that had gotten out of hand.(nuts)

“I'm starting to receive calls ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...BobCad sales again... about V23...even after explaining to them I was unhappy with their 2007/v22 product (PS - I've had it since V17)) and that I had dropped it completely because of that particular release... and the responses by them afterwards. Workarounds and poorly released unworkable patches were not, in my mind acceptable.
    What is the answer to the BobCad problem? H#ll... I really don't know... BobCad created the problem, now they will have to regroup and fix it with the customers who feel they were sold a bill of goods on v22. Otherwise, they have lost a considerable number of customers and their reputation.
    The only thing I can think of that might get me personally to spend the long hours taking a look at v23 would be for them to offer to send a licensed nontransferable version of V23, at no additional cost, to us, who bought 2007/v22. Would I respond to this if they called or sent a note??? I'm not sure... I would really have to think about it.
    Steve “

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve..

Hi all,
    just to say I endorse previous theads. I bought v22 last month, didn't get the package I
    thought I'd paid for, no responce to email complaint, stops phone calls though.
    Don't get me wrong I like the program now I've got used to it, but 1 month shelf life,
    I think these boys are sharp, wont be burning my fingers again.

regards

tony

well I had 21 liked it didnt get 22 and now I have purchased 23.
    I am hoping it works well, has anybody had a chance to use 23 and what do you think.
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by tobo123 View Post
    Hi all,
    just to say I endorse previous theads. I bought v22 last month, didn't get the package I
    thought I'd paid for, no responce to email complaint, stops phone calls though.
    Don't get me wrong I like the program now I've got used to it, but 1 month shelf life,
    I think these boys are sharp, wont be burning my fingers again.

regards

tony
    Let me guess, thought you were getting the Z Level Finishing, Equidistant, etc. and ended up with the basic, right?

Yeah, me too. At least the "basic" 3D toolpaths were improved from V21.

Yep thats the one, feel better knowing its not just me.....
    cheers

The real question is. what software is better for the price of bobcad that has casdcam?
    Randy

i've used bobcad for about 10 years and once i pasted the learn'n stages i have been very satisfied with it. i was a manual draftman and CNC /manual machinist before cad-cam came on the market, so i started with a little advantage. yes it is a long way from
    ideal with all the changes that can come up, like bridge port changing their op-SW sys. after 1975 . just had to say some'um, hartmann,

Quote Originally Posted by tobo123 View Post
    feel better knowing its not just me.....
    As do I my friend, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by SBC Cycle View Post
    As do I my friend, LOL
    I'll put my name to that too - I've had few problems with V22, but being mis-sold it thinking it has the 3D tool paths built in was annoying.

Given that others have had the same experience, it seems to be normal practice for the sales staff to purposefully withhold information to mislead the customer before purchase, then ask them to upgrade.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMc0 View Post
    I'll put my name to that too - I've had few problems with V22, but being mis-sold it thinking it has the 3D tool paths built in was annoying.

Given that others have had the same experience, it seems to be normal practice for the sales staff to purposefully withhold information to mislead the customer before purchase, then ask them to upgrade.
    Hi to all,
    I think it is just we are not used to these type of sales tactics in U.K. we tend to take whats said without question. Anyway I've put V22 back on my puter now that I've stopped steaming. I did have responce back from bobcad, a nice lady rang and said if I signed up to 12 months support she would increase it to 15 months for 150 dollars and sort everything out. I told her I like bobcad and it seemed good value, that is, if I had been sent what had been promised. I explained as I have not needed to use free support yet (I have only used it for basic stuff so have not seen a lot of the reported problems ), I was not sure if I needed this at this present time, anyway, she must of passed it on because I had another call from customer services. I was told to leave it with her and she will sort it. So it sounds quite hopeful that things will be sorted out, maybe they might send V23 to make things right. Anyway I wondered if anyone here has actually had it sorted out or am being a bit naive, I will let everone know if I have success.

Page 1 of 2 12