585,880 active members*
7,584 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Retrofitting Prolight 2000 4-axis mill
Page 2 of 4 1234
    thank you very much i will try that.

I found it necessary to run a DOS emulator application, rather than the DOS window that comes with Windows XP. It seems that the serial port timing is different in the two, and only the DOS emulator would prevent the communications error.

I used a free application called DOSBox, available here:

http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1

There are probably others as well, but I know that this one works with PLM2000.

prolight

which one of those 3 do i have to pick?

old Dosbox version??

1) dosbox-0.72.tar.gz - 1046475 131812 Platform-Independent Source .gz

2) DOSBox-0.72_Universal.dmg.zip - 2997658 179202 Mac Universal (PPC/x86) .dmg

3) DOSBox0.72-win32-installer.exe - 1258638 3796826 i386

thanks again!!

IF you are running windows -

3) DOSBox0.72-win32-installer.exe - 1258638 3796826 i386

Should do the trick.

all the best, Henry

prolight

thanks i gonna try it out.

Keep us posted - Henry

once again! i have a question, i tried out the dos box emulator but for some reason its does not recognize the prolight, i have no communication.

what i did was on the z:> i typed- mount c c:\plm2000\ and after i switch to c:
    and on the c:>\ i typed -plm2000-

and when the program is trying to open i have the message that says

make sure the machine is on ...........

simulate retry quit

so anything else that i have to do to get run it or im doing wrong?

sorry guys to bother to much!!

thanks

rosalio

Rosalio,

Not sure if you Re-ran the setup program for PLM2000 to configure the port etc.

Are you positive your parallel port is ok?

All the best, Henry

i did not re-run the set up program, do i have to do it?

yes - when you are in the PLM2000 directory in DOS type "setup" and answer the questions.

All the best, Henry

ok this is what i tried, i opened the dos box i mounted the c with the plm2000 directory i ran the set up program but still not getting communication is anything else that i am missing??

thanks again.

The only things I can come up with are:

Check all fuses - including the one inside the back cover on top of the animatics controller box.

Your comm port is not configured correctly

I am assuming you have a DB25 port from the machine to a serial port to the computer. Make sure you have it configured properly for port 1 or 2 to match your PLM2000 setup configuration.

Check that switches on the machine are closed - IE the e-stop is on or the magnetic switch for the safety shield is not closed. Both of these won't let the machine run.

I will be honest after I ran mine under DOS for a bit I retrofitted the machine and am much happier with it.

All the best, Henry

prolight

well i tried my best but for some reason i got those comunication errors, like the machine thinks that safety shield is open and i dont know why, or when i tried to home the same thing happen, so im thinking to do a retrofit too.

can you tell me the things that i need to do that and how much money i will cost.

thank you very much for all ur help.

If you have communication and it is stopping on the shield error you are almost there! looking at the machine from the front there is a switch (grey block) at the end of the X axis in front of the bed where the motor is and it is about 1/4" wide by 1" long. This switch needs to be closed by another magnet which is usually missing on a used machine. Just take and either jump the two wires of the switch to close it - permanently, or place a small magnet on top of it to activate the switch. This will make the machine think the shield is in place.

I would ballpark a retrofit at about $2000, My retrofit is up to about $1600.00 I believe all the hardware has been purchased but I am working on the tool changer now. If you don't have the tool changer the cost could be lower.

Any information I have learned on the retrofit is all yours for the asking.

All the best, Henry

i did cut the cables for the switch, i tried to jumper it (put them together) but when they r like that i got the message that "shield is open" so i riped them off, and i got the machine to move.

but everytime that i tried to set a reference point or "go to position" i got this "door" message and after i reset the software dissapear, tonigh i made a simple program for cut an square, i did go well untill line 10 and i got the problem, i tried one more time and only go trough 5 line, and the last time i almost run the whole program, but in the last line with i used g28 x0.0 y0.0 z0.0 to set the reference point i got the error.

this is really frustrating, anyways DOS base is a really old program and intellitek does not support this machine anymore, i think the best thing i can do is do a retrofit, i have never done before so i have no idea what i gonna get into it.

what r the products that u got for un prolight?, what do i need? what software r u using with it?

thanks.

Rosalio,

Good! You are running the program! If you are getting a fault for the switch during a program - you are ok, it is working you just need to find the switch wire and follow it back - it must be pinched or grounding out somewhere. Also check the electrical cabinet for a loose connection.

If you can get the machine running to your satisfaction leave it be and make parts. Think hard before jumping into the retrofit. I am by no means an electrical person but I was able to do it. You must be able to work around electricity safely - it can kill you. Do you own a test meter and know how to use it?

My retrofit was for a 4 axis machine - I owned a rotary table that I converted. If you only want 3 axis it will be less expensive.

The components I used are;
    Mach3 software
    Gecko drives
    US digital encoders
    Campbell breakout board
    And a lot of small stuff, fuses/terminal strips, connectors, wire etc.

Search the internet and you will find all the sources.

I am not making any claims to be the an electrical guy or have the best solution for the conversion just - this is what worked for me so far.

All the best, Henry

i do have a test meter but i dont know how to use to be honest.

i gonna check the cable and see what i can do, also im trying to get a windows 95 laptop computer and see if work well with that.

thanks again.

Rosalio

Wait a minute another thought - have you been trying to run the PLM2000 from a laptop now? This could be part of your issue. I am not an authority but I understand laptops can create issues running CNC's due to port communications and battery management schemes. I have only used a desktop.

Look on the internet for information on how to use your test meter - it will be important if you decide to do a retrofit.

All the best, Henry

yes i have a hp laptop with windows xp, so you think will be better if i try to run the cnc with a desktop, i need to get one, what do you think i will be better to get windows xp pc or a windows 95-98?

thanks again

I would try a desktop before you gave up and retrofitted. My choice would be an XP machine. Make sure it has parallel and serial ports.

All the best, Henry

Page 2 of 4 1234