584,863 active members*
4,927 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Haas machines run with 3 Phase Convertors

Question Haas machines run with 3 Phase Convertors

Pulling an idea from another thread, how many here are running their Haas machines on 3 phase convertors or other power generators because 3 phase power is not availalbe in cost effective manner to their shop's location. We thought it would be an intersting count to give to Haas in hopes of adpator kits or new machines that will run on single phase power with out conversion.

I am running two 20hp phase convertors, one for each CNC machine that I run. One is a VF-0 the other is a Takisawa EX-108 Lathe.

Thank you for you input to this review.

Eagle

Please see the "2004 VF1 price Range" thread to understand where the interest in this question arose

Eagle, from my shop computer

'07 VF-2ss running on a 50hp American Rotary phase converter for over a year and no issues whatsoever. The tech that did my install actually commented on how good the incoming power was.

If running single phase de-rated the spindle power at all, I'd much rather run on a phase converter. I run my spindle at 130-140% often when using a 3" face mill and large-ish endmills.

2004 VF-2, running on a 30 HP rotary. I had a Vector Drive die at about 200 hours. No idea if it was due to the phase converter or not.
    Greg

Talking

Been there done that with rotary converters, if your running manual machines they do the job. I tried to run a 20hp unit on my first Fadal and kept having issues with the spindle drive. I eventually bought a Phase Perfect unit made right here in the good old USA. These are digital and do not employ a slave motor which cost you money to run. I know guys are using them to run CNC's but just put a voltmeter on the "fake" third phase and take your spindle from zero to max rpm and watch your voltage go south on you!! Good way to burn up your drives. The Fadal techs and my Haas techs as well as my industrial electrician buddy cant believe the steady and balanced power they have! I run my entire shop on a single 30KVA unit, 2 Fadal 4020's, Haas VF2, Haas SL30, 2 Clausing engine lathes, two B-ports, 2 surface grinders, cranes, and a Lucas Boring mill. I also have a 20Kva unit for future expansion and it just runs our saw right now. If you want the best it's the only way to go!!!(nuts)(nuts)(nuts)