585,665 active members*
3,102 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Fadal TRM wiring help

Fadal TRM wiring help

I just purchased a 2003 TRM. The original owner bought the single phase option. I want to run 3 phase power to it. Does anyone know what would be involved in doing this. I have the wiring diagram, but the wires coming out of the filter do not match the diagram. Thanks

I do not...

...know that machine's setup. But, you may get more help and a better response if you tell us the year. Also, is there a large transformer in the back elect. cab. the one with the spindle drive in it? If there is...what is its number?
    Steve

Year model and more info

The TRM is a 2003 Model. The only transformer I see has the number ELE1614 on it.
    The wiring diagram that came with the machine shows to not connect L2 for single phase.

The machine then has a wire for L2 that is not connected from the switch to the surge protector or filter.

The diagram shows L1,L2,L3 coming out of the filter to the machine. My machine only has wires for L1 and L3?

Am I better off leaving it single phase, or is there an easy way to go back to 3 pahse.

Are you going to gain any advantages by the machine running on 3 phase?

I would just simply not hook up the high leg, fire it up and make some money.

Talking 30%...

...Gain in torque and decrease in power usage cost, If that machine is the same as the other single phase capable machines.
    As Little Bubba says...hook her up and use her for now on single phase. You can always change things over later. By then you will be use to the machine and a change over will be sort of like a power upgrade.
    Steve

3 phase reasons

Today I am going to go ahead and wire it up single phase.

One of the reasons I wanted 3 phase was the wiring is already in place for it. To go single I have to pull a new line from the box. The other is I have heard that the capacitors to not recharge as fast in single phase? From everything I have read and heard 3 phase would be the best choice and cost me less money if it is just simply a reroute of wiring in the cabinet.

Send me your e-mail or call the office and I'll send you the wiring diagrams for 3 phase for the TRM.

Neal

Hooked up single phase for now

Last night I wired the machine single phase. I am still very interested in converting back to 3 phase if anyone has ever done this.

Thanks for all your help.