585,712 active members*
4,329 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Phase Converters > analog input VFD speed Hitachi SJ100

analog input VFD speed Hitachi SJ100

I have an Hitachi SJ100 driving my spindle.
    http://www.hitachi.us/supportingdocs...ok_NB585XF.pdf

I'm hooking up a 0 - 10 volt signal for VFD speed control between terminals O and L. See screen shot of manual page.

OK, I set up A_01=1. Next they are talking about the AT terminal option input state and option code 16. I'm not getting what I should do. I even read the whole manual for this, still haven't got a clue.

What else do I need to do?

Karl

P.S. screen shot not very readable, sorry. Its page 137 of 214 if you load the manual.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SJ100.JPG  

Hi Karl T

Are you trying to control with computer output or just a remote control/Pot I think you may need to be looking at section 4-9 This is Forward / Reverse & Stop you will also have to set Parameters to make it work
    Mactec54

Hi Carl,
    I have the the same or very similar setup on my mill. If you don't get an answer today, I will go out to the shop tonight or tomorrow and get you all the info you need. Mine is working with the analog input, S commands and m03/m04 commands from Mach3. Way cool when it works.

Make sure that you have a good digital voltmeter to verify the 0-10 volts going into the drive if we can't get it going.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

I just hooked it up and it works.

So, whatever this is talking about don't matter. Programming this VFD is worse than trying to record future events on my old VCR

Karl

It is also advisable to assign an output for up-to-speed as the Finish signal for the M03/M04 and also zero speed is a good idea.
    That is if this VFD output can be configured for this.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_T View Post
    I just hooked it up and it works.

So, whatever this is talking about don't matter. Programming this VFD is worse than trying to record future events on my old VCR

Karl
    Just wait to you try to set the accel and deccel times.
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

With the Mitsubishi's I use, I just perform the self tuning procedure, and then trim the decel/accel until I get an overvoltage, I have a couple of Excello mills with original 2hp motors down to around 2-3 secs acc/dec from 100hz.
    Al.

Albert E.

Job done, next...

Al,

I was contemplating programming a delay in G-code following speed changes. Obviously the signal back from the vfd is a more reliable and prescise method. But not having considered to look for this additional bit output, would you say it is fairly common, among the cheaper generics or low end Hitachi's, or do you need to step up into the big leagues for this feature?

If you were to do the G-code 'pause' approach, what is the best method?

Thanks in advance.

I have not used the Hitachi, but looking over the manual there appears to be settable outputs, There looks like two that would do the trick, code 00 IN RUN and 01 FA1 at speed.
    I generally look for VFD's with suitable configurable outputs, the norm in the CNC world is to have a dedicated input to the CNC controller called a FIN(ish) signal, this is an input that would go high whenever a M, S or T code is specified in the part program and has completed the task.
    The VFD up to speed output would trip this FIN signal.
    Some do not need to wait for the FIN signal, such as Coolant on/off and the FIN signal is issued immediately.
    I would look at the VFD output approach first before considering a pause in the program.
    Also the hardware solution prevents any 'accidents' due to the spindle not starting.
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    I generally look for VFD's with suitable configurable outputs, the norm in the CNC world is to have a dedicated input to the CNC controller called a FIN(ish) signal, this is an input that would go high whenever a M, S or T code is specified in the part program and has completed the task.
    The VFD up to speed output would trip this FIN signal.
    Al.

This sounds like a lot of unnecessary extra work. Why not just look at the spindle encoder? My control has a GETRPM function, maybe your favorite control doesn't do that.

Now, I do think its good practice to wire all the drive fault outs to control inputs and issue a machine stop on any fault.

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_T View Post
    This sounds like a lot of unnecessary extra work. Why not just look at the spindle encoder? My control has a GETRPM function, maybe your favorite control doesn't do that.
    Karl
    That is OK if you HAVE a spindle encoder, my mills are not set up for synchronous tapping as yet, so I have not fitted an encoder.
    Al.

Albert E.