585,667 active members*
4,160 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Will DeskCnc work with my laptop

Wow, this post is dead or what??

Does anyone know if DeskCnc will work on a laptop?
    I would like to run my CNC from my laptop.
    Any ideas???

Yes, I have used it from a laptop several times. Because the steps are generated from the motion control card, the laptop is not a problem.
    I have 2 deskcnc controller cards and like them very much.

Mike

I don't think the post is dead. It could be that everybody is happy and not having problems.
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Thanks Mike!
    That's what I wanted to hear!

Well I am not happy and I guess its more my fault for not thoroughly researching what I was buying when I bought it. But I ve had nothing but troubles with my Deskcnc software in both Vista ( which I would expect, even when running it with the older os options ) and XP.

I am getting ready to sell my setup and buy something alittle bit more of what I wanted.

Atleast I didnt spend $20,000 on something and not have it be what I wanted.

Oh well live and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by g29cc View Post
    Well I am not happy and I guess its more my fault for not thoroughly researching what I was buying when I bought it. But I ve had nothing but troubles with my Deskcnc software in both Vista ( which I would expect, even when running it with the older os options ) and XP.

I am getting ready to sell my setup and buy something alittle bit more of what I wanted.

Oh well live and learn.
    I have not had any problem running deskcnc on any operating system from win 95 thru xp. Let me know what problems you are having and I will try to help.

Mike.
    P.S. The software runs fine on my Vista computer but I have yet to run the machine from it.

Oh well live and learn.
    Well when you can go on your local Craigslist and purchase used computers for as little as $100 with XP or XP Pro already installed, why the h*ll would you even mess with Vista! Lots of stuff does not work with it, sorry operating system, maybe as bad as Windows ME. You are not the only one with Vista problems.

All you need is a operating system, and a nine pin working serial port for DeskCNC. I even ran one just fine on Windows 98. I'm going to try to run my new router on a 4 year IBM laptop with XP Pro, which I purchased for $350 two years ago used.

Oh the old one is too slow to run your design software? That's what they make flash drives for... do your design, save in a DXF file to your flash drive and then take over the the system that's running the table or machine.
    On this machine, take off or disable Windows messenger and all the other windows crap running in the back ground, including the constant nagging Automatic Updates. Use MSCONFIG file to disable on start up.

Don't blame DeskCNC, I've used on several machines.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Well when you can go on your local Craigslist and purchase used computers for as little as $100 with XP or XP Pro already installed, why the h*ll would you even mess with Vista! Lots of stuff does not work with it, sorry operating system, maybe as bad as Windows ME. You are not the only one with Vista problems.

All you need is a operating system, and a nine pin working serial port for DeskCNC. I even ran one just fine on Windows 98. I'm going to try to run my new router on a 4 year IBM laptop with XP Pro, which I purchased for $350 two years ago used.

Oh the old one is too slow to run your design software? That's what they make flash drives for... do your design, save in a DXF file to your flash drive and then take over the the system that's running the table or machine.
    On this machine, take off or disable Windows messenger and all the other windows crap running in the back ground, including the constant nagging Automatic Updates. Use MSCONFIG file to disable on start up.

Deskcnc is less then what I expected. It had issues with 3 computers here, 2 xp's and 1 vista ( which is now xp and I got it to work on that after ironing out some things ). Most are issues I could live with or figured out. I never had design issues as I use MasterCam X for that. I am not sure where that came from. But all in all its just not deskcnc I was bummed with, but the package ( lathe package was not what I expected ). I guess I should rephrase and say I am just disappointed that the package I got was alot less then what I thought it would be.

Unhappy

Deskcnc is less then what I expected. It had issues with 3 computers here, 2 xp's and 1 vista ( which is now xp and I got it to work on that after ironing out some things ). Most are issues I could live with or figured out. I never had design issues as I use MasterCam X for that. I am not sure where that came from. But all in all its just not deskcnc I was bummed with, but the package ( lathe package was not what I expected ). I guess I should rephrase and say I am just disappointed that the package I got was alot less then what I thought it would be.
    Well I think that could be said of all the hobby type or homebrew CNC systems, some folks are having problems getting Mach II & III going to, but it does seem to working fine for a lot of people. But by using the serial or USB port for DeskCNC bypasses a lot of parallel port issues. A lot of users of PC based systems don't understand that XP or whatever has a lot of stuff running in the background that unless you are experienced enough to disable its going to cause problems, with DeskCNC, Flashcut CNC or Mach II or III.

I have used deskcnc on a pentium 233 running win95 without trouble.
    It is a great software package and like alll software it ahs a learing curve.

I can understand that the lathe is less than you expected. If most machine manufactures told the truth, they would sell less machines.

The beauty of deskcnc is the hardware does the pulse generation, freeing you from the cpu timing problems and ragged pulse timing. It looks more expensive up front than Mach3, but when you have to buy a pport or a smoothstepper and then Breakout boards and then configure everything, the cost is very reasonable. It doesn't seem to have the installed user base, however they still sell. I would love to see a plugin for mach3, this way I could use only one machine control program in my workshop.

I have one running my router and a second board waiting in the wings for the next project.

By the way, I love Vista and have it installed on 4 computers in my house, including my personal laptop, on which I have deskcnc installed to do my cam work.

Mike

I've got the IM Service router system running on my IBM laptop, Windows XP Pro. I have had some issues... perhaps because my shop is not 75 degrees 24/7 I've had to slow down the Fast movement, down to 250 IPM, and I may have to go slower yet. I'm guessing the servo's faulting is because the lube (factory applied) to the "Y"
    axis screw (and all) is getting thicker as the temperature drops.

Shop may get down to 50 at night and even if I set the heat up for a couple hours or so to 70, I'm suspecting the lube is still cold?

I've got the IM Service router system running on my IBM laptop, Windows XP Pro. I have had some issues... perhaps because my shop is not 75 degrees 24/7 I've had to slow down the Fast movement, down to 250 IPM, and I may have to go slower yet. I'm guessing the servo's faulting is because the lube (factory applied) to the "Y"
    axis screw (and all) is getting thicker as the temperature drops.

Shop may get down to 50 at night and even if I set the heat up for a couple hours or so to 70, I'm suspecting the lube is still cold?
    Very possibly.
    You could leave a small incandesant light, such a as clip on work light on the machine all night as a test. A 40-60w bulb would keep the machine warmer than what it currently is an may make a difference. It will be a lot cheaper than heating the whol work shop.

I might even try throwing a blanket, without the light, over the machine to keep it warm. a 20F change in temp just before use is probably not the best thing in the world for the machine, but I am sure many of use do it.

Let me know what works.

Mike

Yes, I just found an un-used heating pad maybe 50 watts, I doubt that much. Slide it under the machine and I will cover with a blanket tonight.

I like the machine, they did a nice job of design. BUT I did have some quality control issues when it arrived.
    Took me about 3 part time days to get all ironed out. This is NOT a plug and play machine, lucky I've had a CNC before and industrial electrician (Master) background. . It helped.

I have been running DeskCNC on a used Dell Latitude +/- 850Mhz and 256 ram. It has always run fine, even had the rapid traverse at over 1000 ipm. The first thing I did was strip the windows clean, no virus software either, and make sure DeskCNC is the only program running on the computer. I had a MasterCAM rep visit to demo his software and he was really impressed that my machine was running true three axis movement, plus the code is so simple. I am in the process of building three systems all with the DeskCNC sowtware, controller, and breakout board, so I can switch on the router, vacuum, and dust collection with the program. With the extra outputs, a simulated tool change can be accomplished with dual Z's and some G-code mods.

Question

Well the system is a factory built router and power supply /control box. Issue is that it will not run the claimed specs...either on my laptop or another computer.

It is not a supply voltage problem, I have 120 vac +/- 1 volt.

My thought for today to test, is the servo motors rated at 30 vdc, are running on the factory built power supply at about 27 volts. My thought was on the intensive XYZ G code areas, with lots of carving detail, the power supply might be the issue.