585,663 active members*
3,148 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

touch screen monitor

hi fellows
    I got a question on mach it says it has the capability of using it as a touch screen.
    now my question is since you can use it as a touch screeen can you use your regular monitor or do you have to buy a touch sceen monitor.

You are going to need a touch screen monitor. There are many good touch screen panel pc's which make a good CNC controller with a small footprint.

Quote Originally Posted by cob View Post
    hi fellows
    I got a question on mach it says it has the capability of using it as a touch screen.
    now my question is since you can use it as a touch screeen can you use your regular monitor or do you have to buy a touch sceen monitor.
    I think you'll find it has the capability of being used "with" a touch-screen as opposed to being used as one.......And I can say it's great with a touch-screen :wee:
    Keith

I used a very old and small touch screen on my router for awhile. Until it bit the dust. There are some nice screens on the Mach website to use with a TS. They have bigger buttons. This gives less chance of an errant hit on a small screen.
    It was very cool while it lasted.
    Lee

Touch screens can be obtained separately for existing LCD and CRT monitors, they effectively replace the mouse as a pointer, The interface is usually RS232 or USB.
    Electrically they are completely separate from the monitor.
    ELO is one of the more popular and user friendly makes.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Touch screens away from the screen!

I am a Mach3 user and wanted to use large buttons for start/stop etc somewhere near to the front of my X3 mill. I bought a touch screen with usb interface about 6 x 4 inches. Using the Mach 3 screen editor I created a screen with BIG buttons and used the switch screens option in Mach3 to swop screens over. It means that I can get large buttons for start/stop etc, away from the computer and dont have to grab the mouse and aim for the button on the screen. My touchscreen sits on the front of the machine on the Y axis motor cover. Print the screen from "word" or similar to get the scale right and place under the touchscreen.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Touch screens can be obtained separately for existing LCD and CRT monitors, they effectively replace the mouse as a pointer, The interface is usually RS232 or USB.
    Electrically they are completely separate from the monitor.
    ELO is one of the more popular and user friendly makes.
    Al.
    so basicaly I can use my LCD monitor, but how and also what is it that I have to buy. to use my current monitor

You can buy a touch screen panel kit to fit to your existing LCD monitor. I got one from ebay.

You want to have a good look at your monitor first though. The monitor must be dissembled and the touch panel placed in front of the screen.

The glass panel is about 2.5mm thick. I had to machine the back out of the front bezel to make room for it.

Once you have a touch screen you will soon realise the standard Mach screen is next to useless. The buttons are too small and close together.

I never liked the standard screen anyway. Way too much stuff on it that I never use. And some stuff I use all the time that is hidden away on other pages or fly out screens.

So naturally I made my own screen. It evolves. Quite a bit different to the first one I did. Keep changing it as my way of working changes. Lately it has pretty much settled to what I want. See pic.

There are a number of screens available to download that people have made for touch screens. I never could understand why people are so set on greys and blacks. I want to be able to see my screen in all sorts of lighting. Hence the garish colours.

Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screen.jpg  

As mentioned, you usually have to remove the LCD in order to fit it to the front, In most cases I prefer either to buy the kiosk style LCD or make one up from 1/8" aluminum for an operator panel that I can also fit switches to.
    http://www.elotouch.com/Technologies...howitworks.asp
    If you buy a surplus touch screen, make sure you get the USB or RS232 controller with it, or at least be able to obtain it separately.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.