585,926 active members*
3,569 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Cheap 1500W Chinese spindle, experiences?
Page 23 of 68 13212223242533
    Thanks

I'm wondering if anyones measured the power the spindles actually opperate at. They are really cheap so I don't expect crazy nice numbers but just curious mostly. Like if the 4kW unit is actually putting out that much power.

The power that they draw is proportional to the amount of load upon them. This means that most of the time, they will be running under the power rating. If you were to run one up to full load, assuming the VFD is setup correctly then the VFD should imply limit the current. I'm guessing that this would simply cause an error on the VFD (Over current) and the error output of the VFD should tell the CNC software to stop. (Assuming you have it connected.)

This situation of causing an error is much better than simply limiting the current as limiting the current at full load would probably stall the spindle anyway, but without stopping the drive motors. (Causing a crash.)

The VFD should be setup by entering the current rating which has been printed on the side of the spindle. Don't try working out the power and current with standard ohm's law formulas as you have other nasties such as power factor and efficiency to worry about.

In terms of how long they can last at full power compared to a standard off-the-shelf router however, I'm guessing that these spindles would last much longer.

spindles

Here is a link for Chinese spindles.
    http://flying520.en.ec21.com/Spindles--2051149.html
    These guys underate their spindles.Look at the 4Kw.
    380V
    16Amps... Wats =VXA=6080 watts.This equals 8Hp.
    The 4K rating is continious full power cutting.
    The weight is 28Kg.This is a very serious spindle.Same goes for their outher spindles.Most E-bay spindles are over rated.Just do the VoltsXAmps to get the watts.
    Only downside.They have not answered any E-mails
    Larry
    L GALILEO THE EPOXY SURFACE PLATE IS FLAT

Let me know about their prices for the 4kW if you are inquiring and they eventually answer. Be interesting to know as those look very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by lgalla View Post
    Just do the VoltsXAmps to get the watts.
    This does not take into account the power factor, efficiency and will not get the RMS power. (Use Sqrt3)

If you calculate power for the 2.2kW spindles, you get ~1.5kW. The '4kw' spindle is more like 10.5kW. So something is wrong with their specs one way or the other. Also note that the big ones are 380V and need 600hz to get full speed (if the specs are correct). So for non-industrial usage, you'd probably need a transformer to step up your voltage. Also, I've never seen a vfd that does 600hz although that doesn't mean they're out there.

Quote Originally Posted by jsheerin View Post
    If you calculate power for the 2.2kW spindles, you get ~1.5kW. The '4kw' spindle is more like 10.5kW. So something is wrong with their specs one way or the other. Also note that the big ones are 380V and need 600hz to get full speed (if the specs are correct). So for non-industrial usage, you'd probably need a transformer to step up your voltage. Also, I've never seen a vfd that does 600hz although that doesn't mean they're out there.
    Plenty of 600hz drives on this site. . . . and good prices for uk.??
    http://www.inverterdrive.com/group/A...h/default.aspx

I have a spindle with an ER11 collet and I also have an ER11 extension which I was going to build a spindle out of. The spindle came with a 6mm collet and when I got the extension I bought a 3mm and a 6mm collet to go with it. I have just tried to put the 3mm collet in the spindle and found they were different. The spindle's collet nut says ER11B and the extension's says ER11A. The extension's collets look more like what I expect ER11 collets to look like, the spindle's has a slightly different locking ring. Both nuts seem to be interchangeable and the tapers look to be the same. As such I'll just swap the nuts.

I'm just wondering why they are different - I thought there was only one type of ER11 collet ?

Edit: I just tried the other nut on the spindle and although it does screw on fine, a length seems to be long as the end of the collet isn't as far out as it is when it's in the extension. Furthermore I can't get the end mill to actually clamp in it. Any suggestions as to where I can get a 3mm collet for these spindles ? I was going to test my machine on wood today with a 3mm end mill but I can't - I have no 6mm end mills.

I just compared the collets side-by-side and while the taper seems to be the same angle, the spindle's is slightly shorter by approximately 1mm.

There's another thread here somewhere about the nut's being different. Read through here.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...t=88360&page=3
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Ah I had missed that, thank you.

Edit: However in that thread the solution was to buy a new nut. I have an ER11A but and collet from the extension and it does not seem to clamp an end mill in the spindle due to the different length of collet.

Are you snapping the collet into the nut before putting it on?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Yes I am. I tried the exact same nut/collet combination in the extension and it holds the end mill fine. The endmill is 1/8" and the collet is 3-3.5mm.

welcom to Chinese engineering

I have a drillpress from China for 20 years and the bolts are SAE,metric and possibly wentworth for all I know.I purchased a shaper rated 5Hp.The plate on the motor said 575V 3.2Amps.575Vx3.2Amps=1840Watts=2.4Hp.The unit is terably under powered.The lock for the height did not work and I had to
    take it apart and modify the mechanics.I am not unhappy as these machines were 1/4 the price of a real machine.You get what you pay for.
    They are copying North American and European machines and only look the same.Possibly our collets are tool grade steel while maybe they use A36.
    Some 2.2K spindles weight 7Kg and outhers14Kg and are the same size but have very different power ratings.Is it possible the lighter spindles use aluinium wire.This would explain the power ratings being out of wack.
    After all that,would I buy one of these spindles?Yes.A 2.2Kw even at 1.8Kw will blow away any PC or Makita router rated 3HP.We overate here too!
    I would purchase a spindle by weight or from a local importer who must stand behind the product
    Larry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails drink.gif  
    L GALILEO THE EPOXY SURFACE PLATE IS FLAT

Here is post how to calculate power for the 2.2kW and other spindles.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=120

Yes, but don't forget that is the electrical power used. The mechanical power output will be lower due to efficiency.

Has anyone used these chinese spindles over a period of time. i am very curious about how they stand up. if i purchase one it will be used for cutting plywood .
    what sort of time i will be looking at before maintenance.
    are the bearings easy to replace.
    what company supply the best chinese spindles
    thanks paul

thinking of buy a spindle for complex carvings need something that can handle deeper faster roughting cuts....

I like to know how much faster and deeper you can cut ie for roughing out carvings.... ie 1/4 bull nose bit anyone have a video... most machines dont cut faster than 100 ipm under load with a router...But when you see 5kw spindles they scream through wood......

Anyone have a video of there set up showing the improvement in speed and cutting depth as a result of the improved spindle hp?

I have finally joined the Chinese spindle club

Just bought a 2.2KW spindle from Chai (linearmotionbearings2008). I did wuss out and buy a Hitachi VFD from a American dealer for $255 (HERE), but IMHO it was well worth it because the manual is in english and leaves nothing to the imagination.

Has anyone hooked up a PID senor for Mach3 control?

I got a YP VFD that i can not get the speed over 200Hz.
    settings are:
    P0003-400
    P0058-300
    I searched manuals and none are the same settings of the YP series. I recieved a manual from chai wich was not the correct model.

does anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks

Page 23 of 68 13212223242533