584,837 active members*
5,567 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > One years worth of pics and videos of my 43" x 98" MDF machine FIRST BUILD!!!
Page 1 of 6 123

One years worth of pics and videos of my 43" x 98" MDF machine FIRST BUILD!!!

I guess complete at this point means 3-axis motion... My next plan is to use the machine to make itself better.

About a year ago I ran across BuildyourCNC.com after seeing a 'how to' on instructables.com. I used the fastening and rail techniques he describes there and found his video tutorials infinitely helpful. I began to lurk here and began designing my machine in Rhino.

Not only did I order the parts from Mcmaster Carr, but I found many of their digital models extremely helpful for designing using parts I didn't have yet...

I detailed the machine as much as a could digitally. Here is a shot of the Z axis exploded...

Then, I plotted the pieces 1:1 on Kinkos 40" plotter, spray mounted them to 3/4" MDF. At Home Depot I was able to get the stock cut into basic optimized shapes .

I used a friend's bandsaw to cut the parts out and began building...

If I did it over again, I would take many, many more pictures... These are taken when the basic form of the machine had taken shape.

It is almost impossible to get a good picture of the whole table.. The table surface is 98-1/2" X 43" this leaves maybe 18" on all sides of the machine. Since I could not go full 48"... I used the 6" rip to make the side ribs..

Here is a video showing the fluid motion of the 3 axis.. The stepper motor isn't attached at this point...

This is an image of the assembled Z axis...

After this point I broke the machine back down and polyurethaned all of the parts. I would hate to walk in there with a cup of coffee one morning and destroy the entire table with one bad step...

After reassembly and installing the lead screws, finishing up all of the motion components, and setting up the software I took it out for its first jog last night...

Then, the real test... lets "machine something"...

So far I am incredibly excited to get started using the machine... If I had any advice, it would be to start smaller I think. I have learned so much that it wouldn't take nearly as long next time. I started out with the idea if the whole thing failed, I would have a pretty sweet work table... or a base for a desktop shopbot etc... there is still quite a bit to do as far as cable management finding an appropriate space to machine in etc... I hope to have more information including pics of the transmission on the under side... as well as a basic accounting of everything. But I thought I'd make my first post and quit lurking so much!!

Brian

Thats a nice machine. I want to see some videos of it cutting. keep up the good work.

Very good quality output... Very Nice machine
    http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

Wow! Totally awesome. I hope you will post some or all of the CAD drawings.

Terrific work!

Well done!!

Bob

First cuts with the machine!

First cuts went very well!!!

Here is the roughing step in rigid foam..

Roughing step

Beginning of the finishing step...

3D milling

Finished finishing...

Finished finishing

First 'machined' piece...

Full view 3D test

Close up view of piece...

Finished test

Here is a view of my custom cam controller box...

Cam controller open

Cam Controller closed

Impressive planning and execution. Way to go. I hope you post more vids. Were there any problems that you ran into that you may want to share with a noobie like me?

Quote Originally Posted by FandZ View Post
    Impressive planning and execution. Way to go. I hope you post more vids. Were there any problems that you ran into that you may want to share with a noobie like me?
    I didn't really run into a lot of problems.. One major suggestion I'd have is to go with 1/2" lead screws... I went with 5/8"-8 2 start (4 TPI). There is huge support for 1/2" Like the dumpster nuts etc... not so much for the 5/8".

Start smaller than I did. My thinking was that my gantry would look the same for a 48" table as it would for a 96" table... why save the 20$ in MDF and $50 in lead screw? I am glad I have the working area, but I am already working on revisions and a smaller table design.

Take the addage that 'no one builds only one table' as fact... Your first hobby cnc is where you learn how to build your second cnc. Select components that you could eventually transfer to version 2.

Good luck on your build!!

Very nice workmanship on your machine. You spent considerable effort in the finishing of the MDF parts. Is that satin polyurethane with no stain? Clean looking machine design as well. Congrats.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Quote Originally Posted by rgarrett7 View Post

Terrific work!
    I'll second that!

Quote Originally Posted by CarveOne View Post
    Very nice workmanship on your machine. You spent considerable effort in the finishing of the MDF parts. Is that satin polyurethane with no stain? Clean looking machine design as well. Congrats.

CarveOne
    Thanks!!! About 3 coats of satin polyurethane sanded with 220 between coats...

Quote Originally Posted by Grunblau View Post
    Thanks!!! About 3 coats of satin polyurethane sanded with 220 between coats...
    I thought so. It looked familiar. It's exactly what I did on the two 4'x8' MDF tops of the work tables I recently built for my workshop. Even used the 220 grit sandpaper.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Great job, from your photos it's easy to see the workmanship that went into your build.

Where did you get your lead screws? I didn't see any multistart screws at Mcmaster longer than 6'

Are you seeing much whip on the long screw?

Quote Originally Posted by gfc62 View Post
    Great job, from your photos it's easy to see the workmanship that went into your build.

Where did you get your lead screws? I didn't see any multistart screws at Mcmaster longer than 6'

Are you seeing much whip on the long screw?
    Thank you!

I purchased my lead screws and nuts from www.roton.com.

I am not seeing any whip because I chose to turn the nut instead of turn the screw...

transmission

This involved using my drill press as a lathe. I fastened the aluminum pully to a drill bit in my drill press and 'turned' the pulley to fit inside of the bearing assembly. When this was done, I drilled out the center of the pulley with a 3/4" bit, and 5 minute epoxied it into the bearing. The brass nut slips in the other side and is held by the two set screws on the bearing...

Nicely done.

I gave serious consideration to a rotating nut design for lengthening my machine but am probably going to use a rack & pinion drive since I have had some small amount of experience with those and none at all with rotating nut designs.

Would you show some more detail of the bearings used on your rotating nut? From the photo it looks like you may have bearings only on the side with the aluminum plate, is this true? Are you using separate radial and thrust bearings, or a combined bearing?

Gordon

more details, pleeease

Originally Posted by rgarrett7
    Terrific work!

Originally Posted by slammedxonair
    I'll second that!

I'll third that...

Sir, you are a great craftsman - The quality of your build is amazing, and apparently
    you achieved it practically without using table tools...

But I (and many others, I'm sure) would like to see so much more:

How are the linear guides (Alu or steel V profiles, it seems - ground?) and the sliders
    (skate bearings?). How are the guides and sliders attached to the MDF?

Are the screws Acme? How about the nuts - any kind of anti-backlash trick (your video
    shows that you seem to have very little backlash). How are the screw ends attached?

Your rotating nut is amazingly simple - can you show more details? I assume only the
    long axis uses the rotating nut; how about the nuts in the other two axes?

Your "custom cam controller box" is also incredible: neon-lit fans!!! What is in it?
    did you build your steppers drivers and power supply?

Sorry about all these questions, but anything you are willing to disclose or share
    (pics, drawings...) would be a great help for us beginners...

Grunblau,

Have you had a chance to get gather a complete materials list and pricing for your machine? I"m new to the thought of building your own CNC and am looking forward when I have a chance to build my own. Also, any suggestions for a beginner would be helpful. Thanks.

Awsome

Hey what a great job you have done. I myself are currently building ny first machine ( the one from buildyourowncnc). I have the table, gantry and some other parts cut out ready for assembly but I like what you have done. It looks like a cross between Patricks and the D-model from Rockcliffe. Are you going to post the plans as I am thinking of adapting some of those brilliant ideas you have incorporated.

Well Done, Mick

Quick vacuum holder...

Cut out a quick vacuum holder this weekend. I bought 3 hose attachments for the bristles... anyone have a good source for this stuff?

Here it is cut out... Notice all of the dust, I had to do something.

I five minute epoxied the bristles in the groove...

all done... Not too shabby of a cut...

Simply amazing work - thanks for sharing gets me pumped up to work on my #2 machine!

How's the racking - are you seeing any?

I really dig the rotating nut idea - my latest is 60" long and that's going to really work for me I think (I was getting a lot of whipping with the 1/2 acme rod) - are there any disadvantages to that idea?

Page 1 of 6 123