585,758 active members*
4,572 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > One years worth of pics and videos of my 43" x 98" MDF machine FIRST BUILD!!!
Page 6 of 6 456
    I really like the water-ring effect, looks great.

Both excellent pieces Grunblau. The water drop panel is very beautiful but I like the self draining tiles more. "Form follows function", that's my favourite expression for a design and the tiles do it for me

great work one of my best cnc design i seen and i have seen allot, well here is my smaller version i made with the plans i purchase
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo1.jpg   photo2.jpg   photo3.jpg   photo4.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by agguilar View Post
    great work one of my best cnc design i seen and i have seen allot, well here is my smaller version i made with the plans i purchase
    Thank you very much for your comments! Is this the one you were working on before you purchased the plans? I was under the impression that you were sending out the CNCpart file for processing. It really does make the whole thing 'bolt together'

CNC Pattern Sheet

It also looks good in black.

yes is the same one i send the plans you send me to AllRout CNC Routing Service. like you said but never got a email back ,so i m finishing the one i started, even so i just got a new machine., but i still want your machine so i hope some day i can make one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p90x.jpg  

Are you using Nema 23's on the really nice looking machine?

yes, nema 23

I have been getting emails asking about the cost breakdown of the build so I thought I would add it here...

The basic breakdown of my build was..

Between $1500-2000 to put the machine together. People have also built it for less. My breakdown includes things like black oxide finish nuts and bolts that you could easily source at Home Depot (plain zinc finish) for a lot cheaper.

Very basic, easy to remember breakdown is...

$500 for electronics,
    $400 for fasteners,
    $300 for leadscrews,
    $200 for MDF,
    $100 for misc stuff.

If you add up the bill of materials in my document set it comes to $1363.17 for a machine using the Gecko G540 driver and including all electronics. I say $1500 because the cost of the prints at Kinko's, cost of Polyurethane and brushes, etc... (misc)

(To have the MDF parts CNC cut by a shop generally runs about $400)

Software could be a major expense, but there are free options available.

hope this clears things up a bit....
    :cheers:

I have to say Brian, you really inspired many of us on this build. Thank you for the great documentation, time to have taken to make it possible for us to build your design. By the way, what kind of fasteners did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by fishin_fl View Post
    I have to say Brian, you really inspired many of us on this build. Thank you for the great documentation, time to have taken to make it possible for us to build your design. By the way, what kind of fasteners did you use?
    Thank you very much for your comments! I used various fasteners and dowel nuts from McMaster Carr. Mostly 1/4-20. These are all enumerated on the BOM. The first bit of advice I give people that get the plans though, is to buy their fasteners locally and save some $. I went with black oxide from Mcmaster because I used their 3D part models to verify everything. The biggest benifit comes when you only need to buy 51 fasteners locally if you need 51. At McMaster, you have to buy 100. Not a huge deal, but it adds up.

Here is an X-ray of the gantry fasteners...

Fastener Xray, Grunblau DIY MDF CNC Fastener X-ray

Brian Oltrogge
    Grünblau Design Studio

Beautyful explode!
    BTW, did you know that those fasteners are really cheap on IKEA.

Quote Originally Posted by svenakela View Post
    Beautyful explode!
    BTW, did you know that those fasteners are really cheap on IKEA.
    Can you provide a link? I looked on the IKEA site but couldnt find them anywhere.

All IKEA's have a spare parts shelve with all the nuts and bolts. Just go there or call them.

Re: One years worth of pics and videos of my 43" x 98" MDF machine FIRST BUILD!!!

Hi Grunblau Beautiful work. I do custom metal work - web site is Tuell and Reynolds | Metal Arts and Accessories I would love to discuss having you provide a modified wood raindrop pattern in wood to my shop to use as a sandcast pattern. Obviously would pay you for it. If interested let me know. Lovely work.

Page 6 of 6 456