585,676 active members*
5,241 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Preventing rust

What do people use for preventing rust on tools such as gage blocks, cutters, v-blocks etc?
    I've heard Ballistol is good, but wondering what else is suitable.

I am using a silicon lubricating spray and/or the anti corrosion "Blaster" product. Works well so far... I also find laying a large cloth over my tools when im not using them helps.

Plus I leave silicon packs from shipping near the tools to suck up extra moisture from the air. I bet a humidifier would be great but i dont think my garage is well enough sealed for that.

Quote Originally Posted by mcm375 View Post
    I am using a silicon lubricating spray and/or the anti corrosion "Blaster" product. Works well so far... I also find laying a large cloth over my tools when im not using them helps.

Plus I leave silicon packs from shipping near the tools to suck up extra moisture from the air. I bet a humidifier would be great but i dont think my garage is well enough sealed for that.

Yes, Our lab do the same way
    http://www.roktools.com

I spray everything down with a mist of LPS-1. It's a Lubricant that disperses moisture and doesn't attract dust. I've found it to be safe on everything so far. Also I do have Gel Silca packs laying around to absorb moisture and I do lay clothes over my vises after misting them with LPS-1 if I know I won't be using them for a bit.

Also with my gauge blocks I try never to touch the gauge ends with my fingers as to prevent the oils from my hand from getting on them. When I'm done with them I always make sure to wipe them down with a clean lint free cloth (Tissues are perfect for this, or if you wanna be real fancy you can use the cloth intended for cleaning off glasses)
    -JWB
    --We Ain't Building Pianos (TCNJ Baja 2008)

I personally use Rem Oil Wipes on my tools after use, if not directly after, before I leave for the day. But there are other brands of wipes such as Break-Free CLP, M-Pro 7, etc. All relatively inexpensive and work equally well.

Just picked up a couple of recommended products from grizzly -- G96 Gun Treatment (http://grizzly.com/products/Gun-Treatment-12-oz-/H3788) and Slipit (http://www.grizzly.com/products/Slip...el-1-qt-/G5562)

According to the woodworking guys, gun treatment is excellent for bare untreated metal; it acts as protection against corrosion as well as a lubricant, and slipit is what is recommended for cast iron tables such as on bandsaws to facilitate the sliding of metal or wood across the table, as well as protecting the bare iron from corrosion.

Have not tried them yet, will let you know after a few months how it turns out.

In the past I used Gauge Block Perservative made by Do-ALL but they have discontinued this product. It was an aresol spray that did not attract much dust. Does anyone know of another supplyer for gauge block perservative???

Just keep them clean is the main thing I think. The oils off your hand are bad.

Had this problem when I realized the tools I bought started to rust a week after I bought them, asked this very same question here.

What I do now is soak it in break free overnight. Then after that, just keep it clean and wipe it down at the end of the day with a rag with a little break free on it. I get lazy here and there and clean it really fast, but try to keep them clean.

I have heard that if you use a wooden tool box (forget the brand name, but very expensive brand), your stuff won't rust. So that silica pack idea is probably good to try also.