585,930 active members*
3,983 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cuting Aluminum with Plasma

OK,,,,so I was going to cut some 3/16" aluminum diamond plate with my plasma table and I thought maybe I could ask for some advice on cutting this stuff before I bugger it up lol,,,my plasma is a hypertherm 1250 and I have a torchmate 2 table,,,,anyone have any experience and tips they could lend me on this?? Any advice on cutting this would be greatly appreciated,,,,,and how fine of detail can you cut with aluminum?? I know it's soft and melts easy,,thanks in advance all.

Your speeds are definetly going to be faster.Your pierce height should be higher than steel.I have had problems sometimes with the molten aluminum blowing back and screwing up the tip on thicker plate.Your are not going to get the detail with aluminum that you can get with steel and cut edge will not be as clean.If you are using a water table and you are cutting alot I caution you.I have heard cutting aluminum on a water bed creates hydrogen gas(explosive) and is not recomended without the proper set up.I generally cut small quantities of aluminum on my water table with no problem.

Look at the speed and voltage charts in your HyperTherm manual. I'd recommend the 60A settings, and since 3/16 isn't listed, just interpolate between the 1/8" and 1/4" settings. I run a voltage of 140 and speed of about 150 ipm. Pierce at 3/16" Play with the speed and voltage to see what cuts best for you.

Well I've tried a few different cuts and it looks like I'll have to change material,,,,,it cuts fine I'm just trying to cut lines too close to one another,,,,the aluminum melts away and the torch starts to dive,,,oh well,,it was worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by runninwild400 View Post
    Well I've tried a few different cuts and it looks like I'll have to change material,,,,,it cuts fine I'm just trying to cut lines too close to one another,,,,the aluminum melts away and the torch starts to dive,,,oh well,,it was worth a try.
    You might want to try increasing the cut speed and pausing between cuts for a little while. Give the metal a chance to cool a bit.

As far as cutting lines close to each other, perhaps trying out the fine cut consumables would be an option. I do not see a listing for the material or thickness you are cutting, but if you could find a friend with a spare set to "borrow" and try out, perhaps you could try cutting at the 10 gauge stainless settings of 50 amps but with a lower speed to accommodate for the 3/16" thickness. I would also recommend a higher pierce height. I have no idea how this will come out but it was just a thought off the top of my head that may allow you to keep your parts with the minimal scrap clearance. Let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out.