585,690 active members*
4,817 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Low Lube/Oil Pressure VF2

Today I was running some parts on my 95 VF2 and it threw the alarm for Low Lube/ Oil pressure. I cleared and started running the next part and watch the lube pump on the back. The pressure gauge never did move, you can pump it manually and it will raise pressure but never on its own. There is a pressure valve of some sort on the line with two wires going to it. When you pump it manually oil leaks out this valve/sensor. Any one have problems with there oil pump?

Any help would be great

Thanks Guys.

I think the thing with the wires going to it is a solenoid valve that turns on the air to cycle the lube pump. It sounds like yours may be faulty or the pump itself is faulty.

When you cycle the lube pump by hand how quickly does it lose pressure? Normally it takes about 5 to 10 minutes; shorter than this and there may be leakage somewhere, much longer indicates blockage.

The lube pump only cycles every 30 minutes or so and the machine only checks for low lube pressure just after it has cycled the pump. It will not stop a running cycle but gives the alarm at the end and will not let the machine start until the alarm is cleared.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I had a VF-3 with a simular problem. On the VF-3 the lube pump cycled thru the use of a small electric motor driving a worm gear attached to a cam with two lobes. It is this cam that lifts the plunger in the pump. The motor only runs with the main spindle running and one half of a rotation of the cam takes about 25minutes to cycle. My problem was that the output of the motor gear box had broken.

But is sounds like your pressure sensors is cracked. Oil should not be leaking at this device. Use MDI to run the spindle and watch the pump gage and or the sensor to make sure that pump is working. The pressure senor costs about 50 dollars.

I had a similar problem with our VF3. The pressure sensor was leaking and it also had a leak on the z axis saddles. You can take your broken sensor to your local auto parts store and find a replacement. It is a oil pressure sensor from a chevrolet small block V8(Very Cheap). If the sensor does not fix the problem get out the flash light and start checking the lines while pumping the lube pump.

It was the sensor, I got a new one from Orielly's and put it on. The pressure olds 15PSI for around 20 mintues and doesn't leak now.

Thanks Guys

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by eng101 View Post
    But is sounds like your pressure sensors is cracked. Oil should not be leaking at this device.
    Quote Originally Posted by bl409 View Post
    You can take your broken sensor to your local auto parts store and find a replacement. It is a oil pressure sensor from a chevrolet small block V8(Very Cheap).
    Wow, that explains everything. I can't tell you how many GM cars I've had that leaked at that stupid sensor. If I had known we had GM sensors in these things, I'd have suggested that as the first place to look.
    Greg

HAHA

Now thats funny. Talk about a good laugh!!

Just be glad they don't have ford parts in them,there would be oil everywhere!

I'm a ford man so yes I can make fun of them :wave:
    Just push the button,what's the worst that could happen.

Same alarm

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    I think the thing with the wires going to it is a solenoid valve that turns on the air to cycle the lube pump. It sounds like yours may be faulty or the pump itself is faulty.

When you cycle the lube pump by hand how quickly does it lose pressure? Normally it takes about 5 to 10 minutes; shorter than this and there may be leakage somewhere, much longer indicates blockage.

The lube pump only cycles every 30 minutes or so and the machine only checks for low lube pressure just after it has cycled the pump. It will not stop a running cycle but gives the alarm at the end and will not let the machine start until the alarm is cleared.
    I have this same problem with a 2006 VF-2SS. I have followed the procedures that are stated throughout this thread and I have a hunch that the sensor is bad. My question is, where exactly is this sensor on my machine? Would it be the switch (sensor) behind the way oil pump/resevoir? It looks to me, that this switch is hooked in- line with the lube lines. However, It is NOT leaking any oil from it. Can someone lead me in the right direction??
    Just a good ol' boy, never meanin' no harm.
    Joe

Here is how I troubleshoot Lube leaks on Haas Machines. I go to the back and pull up on the plunger on the lube tank. Then I go to the diagnostics page and time how long it takes for the input "low lube pressure" turns to a 1. If it is less than 5 minutes you have a leak or a bad sensor. Now I look behind the lube tank on the casting to the right side of the y-axis motor. You will see a manifold with 3 lines connected to it. One line is the input of oil, one line is for the Z-axis restrictors, and the other line is for x and y axis. It is pretty easy to tell where they go. Now I bend one of the lube lines to block it from moving any oil. Now I go and pull up on the plunger again and time how long it takes for the input in diagnostics to switch to a 1. If it takes longer than the first test then you have a good idea on what axis to look at. Now some things to pay attention to are. If you are sure that the pressure gauge on the lube tank is good and you show pressure on the system but the bit in diagnostics is still a 1 then you probably have a pressure switch problem. You can jump the pressure switch out at the connection to make sure the wireing to the pressure switch is good. It is not fun to change out parts just to later find that one of the pins on the connector pulled out. Just a couple of ideas to look at.

Pressure sensor is behind way lube tank with two red/black wires (newer) or two yellow wires going to it from way pump. The pump and spindle air/oil sylinoid and way pump are on the same circut and should be 115 volts aprox. If no voltage I/O or bad connection. If there is correct power pump may be bad remove 4 phillip screws drop plastic tank and see if worm gear is moveing when the spindle turns, if no replace pump. 30-40 psi and it should drop to zero in 8-10 min if sooner theres a leak, if it takes forever to go down, blockage. The pressure switch is easy just pull the plunger and see if the low press bit changes in DGNOS. If it does it good if not jump it for now and replace. Lube leaks are most common in Y axis and Z axis due to track movement on mills, lathes X is most common for TL's.