585,898 active members*
5,077 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

RC landing gear parts

Here is my interest in metalwork for the hobby.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sixthF104gear 223.jpg   sixthF104gear 242.jpg  

I was just talking to my good friend (the owner of rcuniverse.com) about machining wheel hubs for giant scale planes when I saw your post. Nice stuff, what plane is that did you scratch build it?

Impressive ps2727 !

Thanks for the kind words..
    The plane is an F104 designed, built, and flown by Jerry Keller. My only contribution was the gear set. Quite an impressive project. I'll try to find a photo of the completed model.
    Paul

Paul, what are you doing messing with digital cameras and "toy" airplanes? Get your rear into the shop and finish that BP CNC conversion! Rather than hand-make these gear, you could be ripping them out by the dozen.

Oh yes, when I make my move and have that jumbo hangar available, you'll be welcome to park that big, bulky, BP in there. I won't touch it, I promise.

Back to work!

Oops, busted!
    I suppose I'll have to do as he says since he's been patiently mentoring me for a while now.
    If you're building a hangar we need to go shop for more tools!

grasshopper

Here is a shot of the completed F104 model-- you'll have to trust me that the gear really is in there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails f104 (Medium).jpg  

Very nice!
    Proud owner of a Series II Bridgeport.

Do you have your own shop? Nice work would lick to see it in pr ogres.

Absolutely impressive! Can you give us a rough idea of the diameter of the wheels or the length of the arms, plus the approximate length or wingspan of the plane (just guessing is fine) so we can get a feel for the size?
    Skippy

Here are a couple of shots of the gear. The model is to 1/6 scale so the fuse is 108 in. and the main leg is 7 in.
    I made a mockup in wood to verify the fit. Then drew it up and started cutting.
    The other gear is for a large B-58.

I think these projects will go better when I get the CNC done!
    Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sixthF104gear 010 (Small).jpg   sixthF104gear 131 (Small).jpg   sixthF104gear 213 (Small).jpg   DCP01064 (Small).JPG  

Tell me it's not true? When I look at picture number 2 in large view it seems that it has a backing plate (i.e. non-rotating) which has a small nipple sticking out of it which would indicate that it even has some kind of brake assembly in side. Probably actuated by compressed air seeing as it's a model. Great work! As Swede said, get cracking with your cnc to start cranking out all sorts of bits by the dozen.
    Skippy
    p.s. The rims appear to be cast or if not maybe turned then particle blasted. Is that the case?

Yes, I used to fly 1/3 scale here in Phoenix and several guys at the field had jets with pneumatic brakes.

I don't think it gets any cooler that a scale RC jet (with brakes no less), serious. That just brings out the giddy kid in every guy.

I'd go so far as to say that any guy that did not get a big goofy grin on his face when he saw one of those things must have something wrong with him.

Nice job!

You are correct, it has a pneumatic brake which is simply an "O" ring in a groove. The tire and wheel are purchased and are made with an internal bore for such a brake.
    This is the only photo I have which shows the o ring groove taken during one of the many (!) test fits. I suppose I need to take more photos in the future. And I found a great in flight shot of the model on the net.

Thanks for the compliments.
    Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sixthF104gear 148 (Small).jpg   Bz77230 (Small).jpg  

Hi..

What way is the system activated? Pnuematic?

Declan

I second that question, plus did you make the cylinders/valves yourself?

I'm looking into making some low pressure hydraulics (ie less than 10 bar) but i don't really know where to start

Scud,
    The system is pneumatic and operates at about 100 psi, which is normal for most RC retracts. I used 5/8 in diameter air cylinders from Robart -- the cylinders I've made are not up to the standard necessary to work reliably!

Hydraulic systems are being developed and I think there is one on the market; I would be interested to hear of your progress.

Paul

I'll keep you updated, but don't get your hopes up too much, i'm a complete beginner in this domain, yet a fast learner
    Still waiting for a delivery of aluminum stock...

Smile

I put a short video of the gear operating during development. Sorry, it's pretty crude video. And yes, I did get them working together!
    Paul

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...86188112&hl=en

Here is my latest gear project, the C-119. I have access to the real thing which makes modeling it much easier.
    Here is a link to a short video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ4wDQp_F38

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new 395 (Small).jpg   new 379 (Small).jpg   new 368 (Small).jpg   new 393 (Small).jpg  

C119gear (Small).jpg   newa 099 (Small).jpg   newa 130 (Small).jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12