I came across some proximity or inductive sensors with a $10 purchase from a junkyard that also included 2 INA linear rails about 42" each (solid aluminum with 2 steel rod type) and 4 carriages (4 u groove bearings on each block) (about $1000 if bought new!) (had to clean of the surface rust, but no biggy), anyways, I was wondering if these sensors could be used for home, limit or maybe thc switch on my gecko g201 driven stepper plasma machine probably 48-80 volt system or around that.

Link to the sensors
http://www.ifmefector.com/ifmus/web/dsfs!IA5062.html

I tested them, hooked them up to a 12v battery pack 10-36volt range I think.
and moved them close to some steel, and about 3/8" away, the status led lit up! I haven't worked with these before, and they seem so cool. I am not sure how i would hook them into my stepper system on bob with their power requirements, so I thought I would be your brains. i could probably get a few more if they will work, as right now I have 2.

Home and limits are one option, but another I was thinking, is instead of a floating head, maybe a could use one to sense the material being cut, without touching it, to set torch height, and keep the torch from touching warping material. And how they would be hooked up, and if it would cause interference or not?

What do you think????