585,662 active members*
3,325 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Milling equivalent of G71

Hi Folks,
    I asked a question about some code earlier but maybe the question was a bit too long so I'll rephrase it for clarity.
    Is there an equivalent cycle in milling to the G71 code in turning where you just define the final profile and finishing allowances and the machine calculates the required tool path.

Best regards,

Scrap.

Haas has the G150 pocket milling cycle. I don't know if this is available on other controls. It takes awhile to wrap your brain around it, but it is a really powerful cycle.
    You basicly outline the shape of your part in a subprogram and all other details of the cycle in your G150 call line. You can even leave an island, although I have never attemped to do that.

Cheers J,
    I have managed to write the intial profile with a canned cycle in incremental where it finishes 0.5mm deeper than the start on the same xy so with 8 iterations I get my 4mm deep hole but it does have the problem of drilling that extra 0.5mm in the very final step. I just thought there might be an easy command for it.

All I have to do now is try to wrap it.

Thanks though.

Quote Originally Posted by scrapper400 View Post
    .... but it does have the problem of drilling that extra 0.5mm in the very final step. I just thought there might be an easy command for it.

All I have to do now is try to wrap it.

Thanks though.
    There is a different command if your machine can accept a motion command on the same line as the subroutine call. You have the 0.5mm step down with any X or Y motion on this line not in the subroutine.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Unhappy

Hi Geof,
    The extra hole at the bottom wouldn't bother me if I could manage to wrap the canned cycle.

Each time I try to do it, it will only transpose the curve once no matter how many I programme. For example to do a series of profiles I enter
    m98 p81002 for it to do 8 cycles of my defined sub program 1002 and it machines the profile 8 increments deep. However if I call a subprogram m98 p3601003, if my subprogram contains a g68 x0 y0 r1 to rotate by 1deg 360 times (on a hurco), it will only rotate it once, even with a G91 in the program. It's bloody annoying at this stage.

Rgds,

Scrap.

I am not 100% but I don't think that the rotation works incremental. What you can do is add a variable for rotation. I take it you are doing 360 holes on a bolt circle?

You can set #1 in your main program that way if you have to stop in the middle you can just change your #1 to which angle you want to start.

IF[#1GT360]GOTO1000--------have address N1000 end your program
    IF[#1EQ#0]TH#1=0
    G68X0Y0R#1
    #1=#1+1
    N1000(M99, M30)

Stevo

What machine are you using? I don't know about other machines but I think Haas has a Setting called Incremental G68 which has to be on to use incremental rotation.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Cheers Stevo,
    It's not a bolt circle, it's a 3D profile that I want to achieve by defining a profile on the yz axis and sweeping it around the x=0 line so that I end up with a circular mold when viewed on a plan or xy axis. I'm new to this so I'm not sure how to explain it correctly, but I hope this explains it.

I'll look into macro methos you described. I should learn how to do it anyway.

Thanks,

Scrap.

It's a Hurco VM1 Geof,

Thanks.