584,830 active members*
5,686 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > New design idea - feedback appreciated

New design idea - feedback appreciated

Hello,

Over the last 6 months I've built myself an MDF router which I've subsequently used to upgrade and rebuild bits of itself, and I've had some success cutting wood, plastics and aluminium. However I've come to the conclusion it has various insurmountable limitations, partly due to bad (but educational) design decisions on my part, and partly because it's made out of mdf.

So, I've been toying around with some design ideas for a new all-metal router, and I'd appreciate some feedback.

It's pretty self explanatory I think. Obviously it's not completed yet. The corner brackets are aluminium box section which I'll machine on my existing router. The rails and long pieces are steel. Everything else is ali.

My main concern right now is whether I need to include some sort of adjustment mechanism to allow the height of the x-carriage to be adjusted to ensure a good fit for the bearings. I'd be open to any suggestions on this front.

Please note it's not finished yet - but hopefully I've drawn enough for it to make sense.

Thanks,

Luke
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails newrouter1.jpg   newrouter2.jpg   newrouter3.jpg