• 2)somewhat

75 23.15%
  • 3)well maybe but I'll never admit it

90 27.78%
  • 4)Ok I have everything I've ever owned

150 46.30%
Page 1 of 4 123

Are you a Packrat?

Just something on the lighter side…Ok just wondering … how many of you are the kind of packrat that when you look up the word “packrat” in the dictionary …you see a picture of yourself? I myself will save things if I think I can use them in the next 25 yrs… or just because “it’s too cool to just throw away…..” I just wondered if I had found a place that is full of people like me….those who say ... "I have one of those …someplace….: and how many times have you had something for years and finally throw it away only to need it next week? heh
    Mark

if something looks useful, keep it till it is

When you throw it out, you WILL need it in the next couple of days or weeks and its to late:frown:

Bubba

My solution is have a "pre-throw-out bin"

Put everything that is of questionable re-use into it and keep it for a year (or five ). Then, out it goes with the junk.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Keep it all, every dang piece of anything, then when you die let your kids deal with it

Quote Originally Posted by HuFlungDung

Put everything that is of questionable re-use into it and keep it for a year (or five ). Then, out it goes with the junk.

Hey, I like that. Cept my pre-bin is gonna need a secondary bin, maybe a post-pre bin.

So now I have my ten 55gal. bins, all labeled nicely. Post, Pre, Post-Pre, maybe-Post-pre and so-on. And my wife is callin the "professionals" to examine me for 72hrs. But, I'm happy cause I got all my "stuff". :banana: JRouche
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I keep everything, I am terible for it, but I just cant part with whoosits and doo-hickeys. I've salvaged so much stuff at work that I am told regularly to take it home or throw it out,(ofcourse they come looking for it a day or two later in a panic) my wife says the samething when I bring it home, I am currently building a new shed 10' x 10' to store my stuff, this poll could not have come at a funnier time,
    what's a pack rat to do???

Quote Originally Posted by trubleshtr
    I keep everything, I am terible for it, but I just cant part with whoosits and doo-hickeys. I've salvaged so much stuff at work that I am told regularly to take it home or throw it out,(ofcourse they come looking for it a day or two later in a panic) my wife says the samething when I bring it home, I am currently building a new shed 10' x 10' to store my stuff, this poll could not have come at a funnier time,
    what's a pack rat to do???
    how funny... I'm the same at work... they toss it out....I pull it out ...I have 12x16 shed full... top of my 2 car garage not to mention the garage full... I just bought a Maho 600E cnc mill and told my girlfriend ... she say's that's nice...where you gonna put it???... so the last week has been cleaning up my garage taking 2 of my harleys over to a friends shop and wandering around with a tape measure trying to pack things into already full spaces to make room for the mill....heh..but the price was right... and it's too cool to throw away ...........

I dont' blame you, if you can get stuff like that for a good $ , I'd be dismanteling it and squirling it away in my actic........I'm threating to buy a farm with a large barn

I keep everything, the biggest problem is that I can never remember where it is when I need it, so I end up buying another one! About once a month I do a regular garage clean up, organizing stuff, and throwing out true garbage. Maybe once a year I'll throw out nuts, and bolt, and misc other crap.
    Stop talking about it and do it already!!!!!

Smile Stuff?....what Stuff?

Am I a packrat?....you betcha....numero uno!!!

I've been collecting "stuff" for years and the sad part about it....I know where everything is but if you looked in my basement you wouldn't think it.
    I think being a packrat is part of this hobby or for that matter any hobby. Making something is part of it, collecting stuff is the other part or it. Besides, its great barter material, great way to get some cash on EBAY if you have "stuff" that you want to get rid off and if you know that your buddies are packrats, they too are a great source of "more stuff" Here is the bottom line: The one with more toys when he dies.....wins.... :cheers:

buildsumthin

yup keep everything. you know the script you see something going free but resist the urge to take it, then you lie in bed trying to find a use for it, suddenly insparation,
    so you go back for it and its gone, it then turns into another project to find somthing else to do what you were going to do with what you didn't lift in the first place.
    maybe iys just me....but i dont think so.
    when we die the one with the most stuff wins.

Its a condition man ; : ;:::;::; I threw out something once and then I needed it. So I didn't throw out anything for a long long time :;;::;: and I finely dicided to throw something out again and I needed that too...:;:; now you can pry it from my cold dead hands (probably cause my wife shot me for all this junk!)

ps. she still gives me a hard time for fixing the hair dryer Ive had since highschool! (its been about 22yrs)

:;:; but the doctors say its only a nerosis not a total pschotic break ;;:;: yet!!!!

but seriously. you cant throw it out realy!!!

its a gene pool thing, think about it,people like us share common interests (mostly petrolheads & and rockets & other cool mostly bloke stuff) do a poll and find out how many cnc zoners have a motor cycle, bet its a lot! its a hunter gatherer thing c'ept
    its not food anymore its tools & stuff (toolmakers being imho the oldest profession)
    its the wimmins fault we get emancipated so we revert to our most basic geneticaly driven instinct , some top themselves,some change gender,some wage war we collect & sometimes build stuff recycling in the process stand proud pack rats .

XTREME packrat category, sooner or later you'll need it .

Cool

Ok I'll admit it, I am a PACKRAT. The 2-car garage is full to depth of 8 feet (12 foot side walls), the basement is full with a path down the middle, stuff along the outside side and back of the garage, in the inlaws shed and stratigically hidden at work. I can't pass a construction dumpster without a look-see. A couple of years ago I almost lost my job because of it. I was known to root thru works dumpster scrounging parts off of x-ray machines and dental chairs, just the "good stuff".

whats the ol saying one mans trash another mans treasure ............... all depends on what it is and what can be done with it

Quote Originally Posted by HuFlungDung

That’s exactly what I did with the three printers I had. From a small Canon 100 to a Multi3000. I finally decided to get rid of them. Six month later I started to look into CNC and the first thing I read is take the stepper and driver out of the printer. And that is not the first time it’s happened to me.

Yoram

Who, me ?

I don't save junk. Just "parts" ,,,,,,, :drowning:

In this town of 10,000 we have an anual "throw-out-your-junk" week in the spring. It gets really quite busy with many (including me) circling the blocks and finding treasures. It's kinda funny. After residents put all their stuff out, they immediately wander the streets by foot or vehicle and check out other's piles. Quite an "exchange' system goes on. Then, after a week the city comes by and picks up that which nobody wants.

Bloy

P.S. Nice thing too is that different areas of the city have offset schedules and residents are allowed to cross territories.

Page 1 of 4 123