9 2.78%
  • 2)somewhat

75 23.15%
  • 3)well maybe but I'll never admit it

90 27.78%
  • 4)Ok I have everything I've ever owned

150 46.30%
Page 3 of 4 1234
    I can save something for years and will have no use for it until the moment the garbage truck is down the street.

Used to keep everything. Then I learned that if I sold my extra stuff on Ebay, I could use the money to buy the extra stuff others were getting rid of. My stuff is new to them. Their stuff is new to me. No one has to get rid of their stuff since it's not old.. Problem solved.

This whole thread reminds me of the George Carlin bit about "A place for my stuff". Anyone else remember seeing that about 20 years ago on Comic Relief? Other people's stuff is s**t, and your s**t is stuff. Hilarious.

I'll throw it away when I have a better one to replace it.

:cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by lgreeves
    I'll throw it away when I have a better one to replace it.
    :cheers:
    But you won't know which one is better until you found a use for it, and then you only have one left anyway :-)
    http://jwstolk.xs4all.nl/mill.htm

over the last year ive hard a few heart breaking dump trips , i need room to do things so it was :look at it,, have i used it in the last couple of years , if not ,it was GONE !
    thinned out the first time and got evermore ruthless the next couple of dump trips ,
    you know what, its all BACK ! i can t pass a good deal and if something looks usable i'll keep it and pack it away ,

when i moved we had a dumpster full of stuff , and thats not counting the stuff for pickup in the front yard of wood, adn metal .... so , yeah i think i got the bug , but the bug is limited by the space you have in which to 'stack'/ pile things.

Talking

George Carlin as ai recall had two versions of that routine , the stuff version and the one that used one of the "seven words" ...

Talking Pack Rat

Always save what you think may come in handy in the future. If the little woman says to start throwing stuff out just ask her, "How many pairs of shoes do you have"? :cheers:

tobyaxis :banana: :idea:

I prefer to think of it as being a collector of things, and it's not junk they are assets.
    My DW is also a collector. To quote (can't remember who) "If the police came to our house they would say there was definitely signs of a struggle."

Nah. forget genetics it's like a virus and you catch it by seeing other peoples "stuff". Some have cool stuff and some have junk. And one day you see someones junk pile and ask them about it and they won't get rid of it no matter what, don't you just hate that!

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post
    Always save what you think may come in handy in the future. If the little woman says to start throwing stuff out just ask her, "How many pairs of shoes do you have"? :cheers:

tobyaxis :banana: :idea:
    Now thats a nice one :cheers: I voted "somewhat" but lately i've been getting lucky in finding people who can make use of my "extras" I cant bear to see good stuff go into the landfill
    Keith

Why does this question come up everywhere I go?
    Mike_L

When I was younger I thought I knew EVERYTHING,
    NOW, the older I get the more I find out I don’t know!

Talking PackRats - Taking it with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Shea View Post
    Keep it all, every dang piece of anything, then when you die let your kids deal with it
    HEHEHEHEHE!!!!
    My daughter-in-law says she'll "Torch the Place!!!" (flame2)
    then bury my ashes in with the Houses ashes so I'll take it all
    with me.

I got it from my mother; just passed in Sept (06), and she had
    cancelled checks from the early 60's!!!!

Bill
    "The Inventor"

.... the ultimate pack rat .....

.... when you drive 400 miles to wade through someone else's pile .... and pay for the privilege. There was a business in Iowa ( might still be there ) that offers business's a tax breaks to donate their un-sold inventories so they in turn can sell memberships to churches and other tax-exemp organizations to come and brouse and load up at their whim. The church would pay $4oo.oo per annual membership and could make 4 trips per year and fill up a truck with all you could carry. I made one of those trips from Indy. Whew...... the warehouse was huge and just to give you an idea ..... boxes ( like 6ft. x 6ft x 4ft tall boxes) of old .... unused ... 300 baud acoustic modems .... slightly damaged but unused sliding glass doors ... rolls of carpet ... ( ugly as sin carpet ) ... tons of the little plastic write protect rings that came on backup reel tapes from old main-frame computers..... you get the idea ...... people would actually back up to this building with a truck the size of a large u-haul and load it to the top with this .... " stuff " ....

I wish I lived next door to that place. It'd be like that warehouse at the end of Indiana Jones 1.

Anyway, yes, me packrat. I bought a 1972 V12 Jaguar when I was 24 and many years later bought an identical car sight unseen for spares. Turns out the spares car is a low milage minter. I couldn't scrap it so I built a $16k garage to keep these two cars worth $1500 in. The garage has filled up & I can't walk round it anymore so I'm renting a 500 sq ft lockup which is also filling up. Ce la Vie.

I'm clearing out some cupboards in my house to put stuff in the lock-up and I found a Hewlett Packard HP98751A colour RGB monitor. It's off of a dedicated CAD/CAM system from the 80's. Its a beautiful monitor but its damn heavy & I can't use it. If anyone wants it they can have it for free.

You need to come and get it or have it shipped. I'm in Paisley, Scotland. So only any good if you're in the UK. wilson.logan (at) ntlworld.com

I would have mentioned this in a 'for sale' section but didn't see one on CNCZone. Bit of a strange omission.

Cheers,

Wilson.

Rat Pack

The pack rats are the survivors. I;m in Australia and come from a fine line of pack rats. I'm presently in the acquisition phase and hopefully I will reach to making something phase, before I die.

Packrat Survival Rule # 5:
    If you have to blow the dust off to see what it is, TOSS IT!
    Mike_L

Quote Originally Posted by The Inventor View Post
    I got it from my mother; just passed in Sept (06), and she had
    cancelled checks from the early 60's!!!!

Bill
    "The Inventor"
    Sorry But I Think I got ya beat on that one, I got it from my
    Dad who got it from his Mom. Found out the other day he
    STILL has his first Tax Return (he is 80 years old).
    Mike_L

Heh, the tin cup in my lab (for me coffee) was a present form my 16th birthday when I started work
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Page 3 of 4 1234