584,866 active members*
4,769 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Milltronics Partner 4 w/Centurion 5 -> Error 450 and keyboard problems!!
Page 1 of 2 12

Exclamation Milltronics Partner 4 w/Centurion 5 -> Error 450 and keyboard problems!!

NEED HELP!! I just bought a 1991 Milltronics Partner 4 with Centurion 5 cnc control... It powers up but once it reads the memory it says "keyboard error" and about that time the lights on the external keyboard flash on and right back off. Once it gets to the operations screen I get an ERROR 450: EMERGENCY STOP CONDITION ; RESET DRIVES OR PRESS<ESC> TO CLEAR MESSAGE. It wont do anything once it is that far, pressing escape on both the control pannel and the external keyboard does nothing!! It is as if they dont have power but We have measured the 5 v connector on the keypad and I do have 24vdc between terminal 12 & 22 in the rear cabinet. Also, I dont have any manuals yet on this machine and any diagrams would be VERY helpful, so if anyone can point me in the direction of a manual or diagram PLEASE LET ME KNOW
    Thanks,
    Matt

Maybe try unplugging the external keyboard, then powerup the machine?

Arrow

I have done that as well, I get the exact same thing happening. Im nearly convinced that a relay could be at fault since the lights on the keypad on the controller and external keyboard flash on then right back off at startup... someone on this forum suggested that there is a heat sink that is at fault on the keyboard encoder but im not seeing one on the circut boards inside the controller housing, so i guess would it be in the actual computer housing in the rear cabinet??

The keyboard encoder board is mounted on the back of the alpha-numeric keypad.

The 5-volt regulator is a three-legged transistor looking thing that is mounted to the aluminum plate at the bottom of the encoder board.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by bborb View Post
    The keyboard encoder board is mounted on the back of the alpha-numeric keypad.
    Thats what I was thinking, it was just confusing when one of the guys was saying to replace a heat sink on the keyboard encoder board instead of replacing the whole thing which is big $$. I have one of our maintaince guys from work thats going to come look at it in like 2 weeks, but I was hoping to get it going asap to be able to make back some money....ive been checking the voltage at the accessible spots in the back of the control panel like the ratcheting knob for jogging the axis' , where it says +5v im getting the 5v and it does fluctuate with movement of the knob...that seems right to me and that is fed from the keyboard encoder so i know i have voltage going in and out of it. I do have 3 or 4 keys missing from the letter portion of the keypad and what im starting to wonder now is if it may have gotten moisture in the pad during shipping and is creating a short in one of the switches, causing the keyboard error causing the error 450... what do you think?? its just a complete long shot... but if so I could replace that with just a generic keypad from an older computer... im trying not to just beat-up the machine trying to fix something simple(chair).

As the control boots up, you'll see a "countdown" go across the top of the DOS screen. If you press any key during the countdown, it should stop the countdown and put you in a multiple choice for setting up memory and paths. See if you can get into the multiple choice screen. DON'T make any choices other than "exit to CNC" if you do get that far. If you DO get to the multiple choice screen, then your computer recognized a keystroke (that's a good thing).

I've tried this same thing but i'm not able to get anything to happen at all, it just keeps going to the main control screen... i think im just lost anymore... do you know where i could get a diagram of any of the keyboard or computer schematics?
    thanks again

When you get to the main screen disengage the emergency stop button. Then press "reset". Then run the "home" function.

Quote Originally Posted by J Solinger View Post
    When you get to the main screen disengage the emergency stop button. Then press "reset". Then run the "home" function.
    I have also tried this, with the exception of running the home function, it doesnt allow any thing but the ESC key which doesnt seem to do anything.

Some checks I would do;

Since this machine was in transport. In the card cage, the 3rd board from the right side of the cage is the X-axis acroloop controller. This has a keyboard Input connector on P8, which is the 10 pin rectangular connector with maybe 3 wires going into it. P8 is the second socket up from the bottom of this board.

It may also be a good idea to pull these boards out a little and re-seat them. Check all other connectors in the cage and behind the front panel are seated properly. I think it is normal for the front panel lights to flash on startup initialization.

Whether this symptom is a result of hardware communication, hardware fault(as in stuck key or water, as you suspect) or a corrupted software issue. I doubt it is a relay at this point. I suspect it either doesn't have a signal where it expects one, it has one where it shouldn't or it is missing the proper direction from its program. It won't be happy until it is satisfied everything is good to go.

As the PC is booting dos , you might try to press F1, F5 or F8 to get into a step by step load procedure, but not let it run the control program. Just get to a dos prompt. At least this may help you determine if the PC keyboard or the front panel keyboard is causing the issue that prevents a complete boot. If you can use the PC keyboard in DOS, you've confirmed communication. On to the next piece of hardware or software.

In my years of machine tool repair, I have never heard of a faulty heatsink!

DC

Usually a keyboard error upon boot up is a faulty keyboard encoder card. This card is always mounted to the back of the operators front panel. In many times, when the keyboard card is faulty the lights remain lit on the front panel switches. Replace the keyboard card.

Hi,
    I have a partner 1 that i've had issues with. A bad transformer,cpu filter or bad wiring harness to the X,Y or Z will give you crazey feedback. Try unplugging the cpu from the filter and plug it into a wall socket and see what happens.

Brian

I just pulled off the front panel and checked the switches... Another post led me to check these. I found that the cycle start button doesnt get continuity on 1/2 of the switch... The switch was pretty busted up to begin with so no big suprise there... I've found one new for about $18 which isn't bad at all, I guess would this explain both the keyboard error AND the bad V?? I guess just let me know what you think.
    Thanks again
    -Matt

Good find Matt.

I checked out several of our prints to see what all the cycle start contacts go to. Nothing present that I could find on the schematics or connector pinouts. Other than an optional remote start button input. There are only board interconnect block groupings that show front panel and keyboard with very little details for connections specific to the keyboard encoder. The E-stop and Reset buttons are shown, but no cycle start contacts. Must be another rediculous OEM trade secret leaving external contacts and/or full wiring details off the prints. It could be that it is part of the keyboard encoder data package matrix, but at least show the dang contacts and a description of all errors associated, if in fact this turns out to be a simple switch R&R repair!

DC

Exclamation

Ok, i got the x, y, and z axis moving, got rid of the error codes(bad v and keyboard error) turns out the cable coming from the front panel to the card cage had a bad connection... but now i cant get the spindle to turn on at all, running in mdi or in a program. I dont have any voltage at the motor once it should be running... any thoughts what this could be? I double checked the parameters and a few were wrong so i changed them back to what the manual specified. there arent any error codes, you can hear a solenoid click in back when you hit cw or ccw when it should be running, the main fuses look good. the only thing im not sure about is the servo/ spindle drive box(saftronics) displays "EB" when the machine is on... this could be normal but i dont know..please let me know!
    Thanks

Is this your drive?
    http://www.yaskawa.com/site/dmdrive.nsf/(DocID)/MNEN-5JLRLE/$File/TM4333GPD333.pdf

No, it looks just like this one on e-bay... heres the item #270297305621 . I'd like to get this thing going pretty soon, my work is getting rid of a fadal w/ full enclosure that is having problems with keeping a +-.0005 flatness on a 8" long part. they are only wanting scrap steel price for it (.20/ lb) making it about $1200. so if this one wont keep equivalent tolerences i think ill sell it again and make room for the new machine.

anyways thanks again, and let me know if you have any ideas.
    -matt

Matt,

Good to hear you are making progress!

Here is a link to a G2 drive. Close, but might not be exact. Could help with troubleshooting and setup, if someone has messed with the drive parameters along the line. I've recieved emails from Yaskawa distributors and field techs when ever I have requested specific documents on older legacy drives.

There may be some tests you can run from the drive itself to run up the spindle, then find out why the control is not controlling the drive. More bad wires and/or parameters etc.

G2 PDF

DC

Thanks for the file, it is VERY helpful, it turns out the errror clears and doesnt come back... the frequency(hertz) is set to zero aswell as the amperage. for some reason i cant get the display to set it, i can set parameters and everything else but not frequency or amperage although it is in a different setting not in program... any ideas?? thanks again for all of your help!
    -matt

Page 1 of 2 12