585,758 active members*
4,532 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Is Delrin better than Nylon?

I am looking for a good plastic to thread into without worry of too much ease of stripping out the threads. Is Delrin better than Nylon or is there something better than the both of them, like a Poly?

I think Delrin is a much better choice than Nylon indeed a much better choice than anything for threading.

Nylon and other plastics like UHMW polyethylene are a bit flexible and do not cut nice threads because they tend to run away from the tool. They are also nowhere near as strong as Delrin. It is possible to get glass filled nylon but cutting threads in that is a lost cause I think.

Delrin is probably the strongest non reinforced plastic available (at an acceptable cost). It machines very much like brass; you need zero top rake and a good shapr edge. Coolant is not essential but it can improve the surface finish and certainly helps with drilling and tapping. Speed and feed should be around the same as brass, although in some cases you can go like crazy if you are using flood coolant on production parts.

One minor disadvantage with Delrin threads is that it has a low coefficient of friction and threaded parts can come lose due to vibration, especially with large coarse threads. The low friction can also be a nuisance because Delrin parts will pull out of vises and chucks under the cutting load.

Overall Delrin is a dream to machine.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Delrin Threading

I don't know your application or what your actual project is, but I am in the process of working on a delrin project and used some brass 1/4 X 20 thread inserts that were actually designed for use in wood. I had to adjust the hole size for the threaded insert that was recommended for use in wood.

Just something you might want to consider if it would work for your application.

John

Great. Thanks guys! I appreciate you input.

can you guys tell me where is good place to purchase these type of material
    i would like to practice cutting these material