585,676 active members*
4,183 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > MasterCam 9 isn't working with Vista

MasterCam 9 isn't working with Vista

I just purchased a new laptop and it is running Windows Vista. I've never used it b4 yesterday. My problem is that MasterCam (ver 9 ) keeps locking up and won't run. any advice?

MC V9

I dont know if it will work but you might go to windows knowlage base and find out how to run older applications in protected mode just a thought

Mastercam 9 doesn't work well with Vista.
    You get less lock ups if you disable all the fancy stuff in Vista.
    Make it look more like XP.
    Stefan Vendin

you might try to see if there are xp drivers for your laptop, get another 2.5" hd and install xp on your laptop. I basically did that when I got my laptop that came with vista; I didn't realize finding xp drivers for it would be so hard, and had issues for about a year ( took me a weekend to solve ). just because ms forced vista on us doesn't mean we have to accept it or live with it.

Copied this from another forum... This is from back in March. I am not sure how things may have changed since then but it sounds like a losing battle.

V9 does not support Vista
    I know 1 guy whos's got
    V9 running on a Vista machine
    and a hundred who have tried and failed
    You need to either upgrade to X2_MR2
    or roll your computer back to XP
    Vista + V9 is not happening

You can try to run in xp compatibility mode, but no promises.

I see nothing but problems trying to run v9 in Vista.
    I even have problems with X2MR2SP1 in Vista, but not in XP.

Vista is the culprit here.

My advice to you is to run v9 in XP or upgrade to X3MU1 if you want to keep Vista.

GEE!!! A problem with Vista??? Now there's a surprise. Who appointed Bill Gates and his gang of egomaniacs Supreme Rulers of the software world anyway.

Hang in there. Rumor has it that a new Windows is being released early next year. Every other (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, etc) new Windows OS seems to be something that DOESN'T belong at the bottom of the outhouse pit.

One problem with trying to retrofit a new machine with XP is that Microsoft has strongarmed chip set makers into NOT developing XP drivers for new chip sets.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by netboss View Post
    GEE!!! A problem with Vista??? Now there's a surprise. Who appointed Bill Gates and his gang of egomaniacs Supreme Rulers of the software world anyway.

Hang in there. Rumor has it that a new Windows is being released early next year. Every other (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, etc) new Windows OS seems to be something that DOESN'T belong at the bottom of the outhouse pit.

One problem with trying to retrofit a new machine with XP is that Microsoft has strongarmed chip set makers into NOT developing XP drivers for new chip sets.

Like I have said in the past.

VISTA = INCOMPATIBLE WITH EVERYTHING

If you really want a laptop for Mcam take that one back and go to Dell.

They will build you a fast, sweet laptop just for Mcam(ask) and for the reason stated previously, they offer XP pre-installed with the corect drivers, and Vista in the box, which is where it should stay.

Well this has been pretty enlightening ( and a little humorous ). I have discovered a bit of a solution browsing through related threads. I'm running Mcam9 with Win2000 compatibiltiy enabled ( via the shortcut ). Also in 256 color mode. At least it's running now, but it seems very ironic that they even have this compatibility option in there in the first place. I am seriously considering returning this computer while I still have it under 1 year warranty, and/or getting it reverted to XP.

Thanks for all of your suggestions, I really appreciate it, and, I can breathe again. It was like MasterCam withdrawals, but now I have my fix again.
    -EE

I can relate to the withdrawal thing. One day my hasp stopped working and I had to wait for a replacement. Rough times.

There is one good use for Vista though, it makes for a nice paperweight.

Thanks BILL?

expensive paperweight....you'd get more value if you bought a gold brick

I have a gold plated hermetic housing. Is that close enough ?

thanks