585,764 active members*
3,945 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Question about Drive Supply current

Question about Drive Supply current

I have two 103-807-6341 Sanyo-Denki steppers. The nameplate says 3.02A but a data sheet I found on the web says the bipolar parallel current is 4.3 A, and it also specifies the unipolar current at 3.05A. I'm trying to select the driver supply current to run two of these drives in bipolar parallel with G201's but I'm getting confused with phase current and total motor current.
    My question is whether the current spec is typically the entire motor current or is it only a single phase which is how the resistance and inductance values seem to be specified. If only to a single phase then do I need to double the value to get the total current requirement for one drive? And then double again to get the requirement for two drives? Also is the current limit that is to be set on the G201 also a phase current or the total motor current?

The actual power supply current draw depends on motor load and speed. It can be as little as 0.3A at moderate speed and no load to as much as 2A when the motor load is just short of stall. Use 2A supply current per 3A per phase motor axis.

Mariss

Mariss,

I want to be sure before I order. Will G540 work with these Sanyo Denki steppers? I have the same motors (103-807-6341) in my lathe. Each phase is wired in series.

Ah,.. can you provide a data sheet pdf or url where I can find specs on this motor? Help me out here; I just hate to have to hunt down another motor model number specification.:-)

Mariss

Sorry, I should provide it in the first place.

http://www.rtaeurope.com/pdf/eng/4ing.pdf

Please also suggest the value of current set resistor. Thanks!

niner,

Wire your motor in parallel, get a 3.48K current set resistor (digikey.com digikey part number 3.48KXBK-ND for minimum of 5 resistors at $0.10 each) for the G540. It should work OK then. Use a 48VDC power supply to get the most from the motor.

Mariss