3,258 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Spaceball

Page 1 of 2 12

Spaceball

Will Mastercam X and later work with a 3DConnexion SpaceNavigator

Spaceball

I use one with X2 MR2 & have had no problems. Harold C.

I've been using one since MC9. I don't know how anybody runs MC without one. I was forced to use somebody else's seat of MC one day and they didn't have a spaceball. I seriously gave up and did the programming on my own machine over the lack of that spaceball.

What's the advantage of the space ball anyways?

My wrist gets sore after programming (mousing around) for 10 hours straight.

Is one of those SB's more comfortable to work with?

It makes moving the part in 3D space easier. It's a "puck" that moves Left/right, Front/Back, Up/Down. Makes rotation and zooming very easy. I've been wanting to get one. Actually thought of picking up the line to sell them on my web site.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

Quote Originally Posted by mastercamguru View Post
    What's the advantage of the space ball anyways?
    It's your virtual hand to reach inside the screen, grab the part and rotate it. Yeah, the mouse can do that but the ergonomics aren't as natural. And have you tried to Cntrl-select a bunch of parts and rotate the part? It's a PITA.

The Spaceball can rotate, pan, zoom, anywhere you want without disrupting what you're doing with the mouse. The workflow is much smoother to me. If I'm hand picking a chain around a part, I can zoom up, click, pan across an edge, click another element, continue panning, etc. There's just no good way to do that without it.
    Greg

"It's your virtual hand to reach inside the screen, grab the part and rotate it."

Good description. It's nice that you can do that while your in the middle of picking surfaces (or what ever) for a toolpath.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More

Thanx

Sounds like another new "TRICK" for me to learn.

Maybe save some wear on my F1-F2 keys too.

Not much to learn. You'll "get it" in about 10 minutes. But if you use one for a day, you'll really want one for yourself.

Mike Mattera

I'll get one this weekend.

Are there any specific ones that work better with X2MR2SP1, or do they all work about the same?

I've got the 3D Connexion 5000. I think it was their top of the line about 5 years ago. They make something cooler now (I'm sure). The 5000 has a bunch of hot-buttons that can also be programmed. I don't use any of them so it's just a navigation device for me (I'm not a hot-button guy).

It took me zero time to get used to it. The first time I used one, I couldn't understand why people didn't like them; it was natural from the first minute.

I work with guys who have them for Catia and never use them. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. As a former CAD systems trainer, I think users are limiting themselves by not using one. There are way more motions involved to rotate with the mouse. That's wasted time.

On the other hand, why force it? People that don't like them shouldn't use them if they truly believe that a mouse is just as easy.
    Greg

Mastercamguru: The one you want is about the size of a hockey puck in diameter, with a knob on it. SpaceNavigator. It's just a single knob that you push/pull or rotate.

http://www.3dconnexion.com/searchspa...FQZqswodC3k7Sw

Mike Mattera

Hey Mike are you on? Trying to engrave v9 need a couple of quick steps like were do you find and set up engrave text the basics not ready for contour engraving yet...

Thanks for any help
    9lrac9

I ordered a Space Navigator friday. It should be on the UPS truck monday.

9lrac9: This thread is about Spaceballs. Start a new thread if you have a question about engraving. Punctuate your question better. I don't understand what your asking.

If you go to my web site and register for the free sample videos, I have some on V9 engraving.

Mike Mattera

Cool

I got the Space Navigator today.

It took all of 2 minutes to adapt to it, and chaining is so much easier now.
    I do alot of Rf Maze pocketing, so I'm constantly zooming/unzooming and panning as I chain, because there are so many breaks and branch points.

I can't believe Mastercam doesn't ship with one of these.
    I'll never program without one again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the club. I work with guys who use Catia all day long and they have their Spaceballs shoved over to the corner of their desk. I just don't get it.
    Greg

Yes it's perfect for those types of selections. Didn't take long to convert you. The older one's (with the big Ball) were very expensive. This new one is priced so everyone can get one.

Mike Mattera

Smile

71.50 for the PE delivered.......functionality and ease of use.......priceless

(dig on mastercard commercial for those whom didn't get that)

I can't understand why someone wouldn't use it if they had one.....makes no sense at all.
    I thought that I would have to learn to be ambidextrous to use it, but I don't even have to think about it, it comes naturally, almost automatic.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

These units are great for using with Mastercam and solidworks for me.
    Got them for are classrooms at the collage.

Used to sell them to my mastercam customers after they saw me do a mastercam demo and I alwas used my travel one.They alwas asked WHATS THAT? a mouse.. then I would use it during the demo and they had to have one.

Here are the units I have and the order I perfer.and my old home office setup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3dx.jpg   oldhomeoffice.JPG  
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Page 1 of 2 12