585,754 active members*
4,225 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > New guy here - Best type of drill bit for expanding (boring) a hole in brass?

New guy here - Best type of drill bit for expanding (boring) a hole in brass?

I need to do a production run of parts where I will be expanding (boring) the diameter of holes in solid brass. I will be going from about 0.19" to 0.23". The holes are about 1.5" deep. I heard that brass is hard to drill as it binds a lot. What is the best type of drill bit to use?
    Thanks, and I'm excited to be part of this forum.

If it's on a CNC, you should be ok using a regular HSS drill. If you're doing these on a drill press you can remove the positive rake on the drill using a honing stone or a grinder to make it so it won't grab the material as bad. You can also look for a straight flute drill.

anyone who tells brass is difficult just doesn't know what they're doing, brass machines like butter....but like kaka said you have to make sure all cutting tools have zero rake.

here's some pics on what that looks like at the end of a drill. I keep sets of #, letters and fractions ground for brass as its a pita to have grind one back for steel