584,842 active members*
4,196 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Maho MH400E retrofit to Mach3

hi all,

i just bought a MH400E with Philips 432 V10

(please click on picture for full resolution)

my plan from the first moment was a retrofit it to Mach3 because i wish a
    selfmade 4/5axis cnc table instead of the manual 3axis ROD-table
    (not my first one - but first one in this dimension of capabilities)

when i got the machine i haven't enought power in my home shop - so i can't
    verify the sequences on gear-change and some other small details within the steering.

i have all electric plans of the mill and all motors and electric ist still in the machine - only the CNC432 isn't availiable anymore.

has anyone done anything else before ?

adaption from TTL to 24V isn't a problem, also a small PLC will be done (nearly easily)
    my wish was to use all relays and motor contactors as before - in the original manner ...

Regards Frank

The mill looks to be in good shape. The 432 is a very powerful control- I would not even consider retrofitting to a PC based control. The 432 is capable of at least 4 axis simultaneous control.

Frank,
    I think the 432 control uses linear scale for position feedback, how are you planning to get position feedback to your amps, if you intend using mach will you need to change the servo amps.
    I too have just bought a Maho with a 432 control, I plan to use the 432 control in the short term but want to retrofit with a pc control later, so I am interested in how you do your retrofit.
    Dave

Dave,

i still use the indramat power stage and the resolver on back of servos.
    (servo motors too)

(1) at the beginning i also use the heidenhain EXE to get encoder-like incremental signal from the 11µA sinus/cosinus linear scales.

(2) this output and step/direction from Mach3 will be handeled by a board, which give me +-10V dc for the speed in relation to the position.

(3)later the EXE will be replaced by a AVR, what measure the current of the linear scale and convert to incremental - this will be programmable.

position (1) is for the time until pos (3) will be finished (is usable but still in development)
    Pos(2) is working on a few machines - but i'm the first who don't use encoders :-)

further details when i fitt all in the maho (i think 2 or 3 month because i will use all the original save-chains, relais and so on)

when the indramat power drive will die i have to use UHUs - but i'm not sure to use them at 200V DC (the output of the original transformers - 140V AC)

Frank

Frank,

Can you post links to the hardware you intend to use.

Dave

Hi Dave,

here are two pictures

the heidenhain EXE: (very analog - a lot of LM339 :-) )

the board called Lageregler - freely translated attitude control

the board which replace the heidenhain isn't in a showable state ...
    but will be finished in few weeks :-)

the transformer for 5V TTL from LPT and PLC would be done by UDN2981, reverse by two resitors and a zener diode.

most difficult is to "read" the original maho electric schematic and find out in which manner the relais have to be switched - i.e. gear change or tool clamp ...

Frank

the rest of the maho is like the original machine

next photos will come when i fit it into the electric cabinet

Frank

Hi Frank.
    I have same case with you.I choose Syntec 900M to retrofit the MAHO MH700 4axis.I finish retrofit this machine in three weeks.I still use Indramat drive for all of axis.For feed back,I use rotary encoder which mounted on the end of motor shaft.I make adaptor for this encoder.This configuration is more easy to install.

Andreas

Hi folks how is progres on the retrofitting? I have a Maho mh500 with 432 control so I will follow this thread. Anyone intersted in selling the old 432 control? I have an early version of the 432 so I can't drip feed. That's my only problem with this machine so I had been able to change to a newer version of the controller It would be a nice thing.

Talking

Hey guys,

we are making some progress on the MAHO MH300C

Maho MH300C mach3 retrofit dynomotion kflop kanalog 1um - YouTube

Gearbox is also fully functional

Greetz

Hi folks I have now used so much time struggeling with my old Maho 432 controll but now I have desided to retrofit with a new CNC control. I have a Fagor 8055M CNC controller that I wil fit on the machine. The control have 24 digital outputs and 40 inputs. I plan to use the original servo motors and the 3TRM 2 Servo drive.

But I unfortunally don't have the manual for the 3TRM 2 servo drive. So my question is. Do anyone know the level on the analog signal into the 3TRM 2. Is it +-10V signal?
    I don't have this information?

Or maybe someone could measure the signal from the control to the 3TRM 2 drive

Yes the amps on the Maho use industry standard -+10v analog signal, I have a manual in pdf somewhere if you want.

Yes if you have a manual in pdf it would be nice

The 3TRM2 Servo Drive has a card mounted directly on the inputs. The card has a Maho logo on. Do anyone know what this is? Is it a signal converter or some kind of filter.You see the card in the bottom of the picture and you see that there is tre shielded cables x,y and z axis from the maho 432 controll. Going into that card. If the signal from the control is +-10 volt I can probably connect my new controll straight to the same card.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails maho432_3TRM2.jpg  

I have an MH600E that I am trying to get going. Do you by chance still have that pdf manual?

Thanks,
    Davey Boy.

MAHO 700

Please Do anyone know why I have a big noise (oscillation) and motor chokes most Y axis while the machine is just stand in the Maho 700 with power steering 3TRM2

hi to all
    retrofitting the CNC machines is a challenge I am very interested by this subject I'd like told you all good luck