584,805 active members*
5,350 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

first attempt at multiple 3d files

The sign is my first attempt at multiple 3d files in one piece.
    The dimensions of the sign are 47.5 x 23.25
    The deer is carved on a 12 x 10 piece of Brazilian cherry ½ inch thick.
    The skull is in a 11 x 8 piece of Brazilian cherry 1 in thick
    I had some major issues with the z axis creeping up as it traveled along the y axis and had to make mutable passes to complete the sign. speaking with Jim m on ventrillo we went over my ini file and he suggested some changes to discuss with Joey at camaster. Joey made some changes to my file the next day, he lowered the smoothing and reduced the acceleration on my x & y axis, I would of thought that this would have added time to the job but in fact it cut my time by several hours. After installing the changes the sign took only 9 hours, before the changes it was 20 hours to do the file.
    Well that first ventrilo session with Jim m and Neville sure paid off for me.
    Thanks to all three of you for your help and support.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_3299.jpg   100_3302.jpg   100_3303.jpg   100_3305.jpg  

100_3306.jpg  
    Guys, I swear I would look it up for myself, but the goat ate my manual.
    CAMaster Cobra 408 Rabbit HX3040 Aspire

james i am setting up a ventrillo conference on wincnc

jim
    James McGrew CAMaster 508 ATC
    www.mcgrewwoodwork.com http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

Sweet

I'll be there. just post the time.
    Guys, I swear I would look it up for myself, but the goat ate my manual.
    CAMaster Cobra 408 Rabbit HX3040 Aspire

i saw someone brought this up so i thought i would post the church, james booth didi the file for me. it is our 170 year old church i had this done for a vicar who was leaving and decided to carve it again for the church. the wood is purple heart and finished laquer

jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4357.JPG   st stephens.jpg   St-Stephens.jpg   Collages.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by cabnet636 View Post
    i saw someone brought this up so i thought i would post the church, james booth didi the file for me. it is our 170 year old church i had this done for a vicar who was leaving and decided to carve it again for the church. the wood is purple heart and finished laquer

jim
    Jim, I'm just starting to learn all this cnc stuff and was wondering when you say james booth did the files for you, did he take a photo of the church and convert it into a files that the cnc router could read. If so are there guys out there that do this for a living and how expensive is it to have that done. I ask because that is one of the ideas I had if I get a cnc router is to be able to take personal photos of buildings, people, animals, landscapes ect. and turn them into 3d carvings. I'm just not sure what it would take to be able to do this or if there would be to much time into for what you could sell them for.

i took the photo of st stephens in ridgeway and emailed the photo to james in canada, he came and spoke at our gathering in columbia sc last year, as one becomes proficient in aspire then we can model basically anything.

i would check out the software and download it for free it is a full working version and you can save for future use, there is a lot of models available and i primarily use james at www.vectorart3d.com i have had many models reproduced including the life size chess set whic i had scanned,

welcome to cnc, i moderate a forum for the machines i own www.camheads.org and there are others, hope i can be of help to you!!

jim

Whoah, that purpleheart is absolutely awesome!