584,858 active members*
4,422 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Peck Drill cycle generated by post??

Peck Drill cycle generated by post??

I have Bobcad 19 & 22. One machine is Camsoft but I didn't have the 5000$ for the Pro disk.

Do I have to spend 3000$ more just to get a good peck drill cycle or can I make Bobcad just output each individual move?

Camsoft has G83 but no chipbreak cycle so I'm cutting a ton of air and it's really annoying.(nuts)

Thanks in any event!:rainfro:

Nelson
    i build the braces that keep american teeth straight......tick tick tick

Hi
    I'm not sure understand everything you are saying here but I recently only came across this which I had not not known about. http://bobcadsupport.com/techfaq/ind...t=drill%20peck

In v22, edit your post (MillEditPost.exe) and turn the Peck drilling cycle off (uncheck the box). This tells BobCAD that the machine has no peck drill cycle and to use long code instead. A really nice feature if your control is limited. Make a backup copy of your post processor before you modify it. Then you want to check that your modified post is outputting the correct code. Depending on how old the post is, you may need to modify the "point format" parts of the post.

Then do have look at the link that gen3dr posted. This will adjust your break rate to depth ratio if it is not satisfactory.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by nelZ View Post
    I have Bobcad 19 & 22. One machine is Camsoft but I didn't have the 5000$ for the Pro disk.

Do I have to spend 3000$ more just to get a good peck drill cycle or can I make Bobcad just output each individual move?

Camsoft has G83 but no chipbreak cycle so I'm cutting a ton of air and it's really annoying.(nuts)

Thanks in any event!:rainfro:

Nelson
    My cam software doesn't do g83 either. I just let it give me a g81 and hand code the correction to do a g83. Same goes for the chip breaking cycly.I figure it cost me about a dollar to do each one. That is 3000 edits to break even. I think I will do it by hand.
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Thanks all,

Steve, I haven't yet been able to post a move in V22 yet. What you suggest is exactly what I was looking for in 19. If you could explain the following items I'd be really thankful and may be able to do it in V22.

In v22, edit your post (MillEditPost.exe) and turn the Peck drilling cycle off (uncheck the box). This tells BobCAD that the machine has no peck drill cycle and to use long code instead.

I found that and yes it's logical!

A really nice feature if your control is limited. Make a backup copy of your post processor before you modify it. Then you want to check that your modified post is outputting the correct code. Depending on how old the post is, you may need to modify the "point format" parts of the post.

I found point format in the post editor. would I have to do arithmetic operations there?

Then do have look at the link that gen3dr posted.

I'm stupid (yes, we know!) what is gen3dr?

Thanks,
    nelZ

He just means me - although I'm called gn3dr. He said to look at teh link I posted above in the first response to your question.

oops, sorry about that!

I checked it out but that was in trying to make it happen in V19. I guess I gotta better shot with V22. I posted on BobCad's forum and there's not a lot of 19 activity there...

nelZ

You can do this in V19 as well. The good thing about V19 is that it has scripting in it's post processor. Call or email support and tell them you want the long code cycle routines. I used to have all of these files for a post I built for an obscure German made controller that didn't have a lot of bells and whistles. But that hard drive has long since crashed. You will have to get to know how to modify your post processor. In V19, it's basically (no pun intended) Visual Basic. But the post is made from a loosely gathered conglomeration of small files that can seem quite confusing at first. You'll just have to dive in and learn it. With V19, you should be able to make it output anything.

V22's post processor is just one text file. So it's easier to manage in that way. The point format stuff was added at some time. It's used to make the moves in the generated long code. No calculations need to be done. You just need to make sure that the point format move routines are flushed in. Grab a post from their website, say the Fanuc0m or something rather simple. Then take the info in the point formats from it and fill them in for your post for starters point. I just looked and they are all loaded with "n,x_f,y_f". Then run the post and see if it's doing the correct thing.

Sorry for the misspell gn3dr. There was a nut loose on my keyboard.

Steve