585,977 active members*
4,168 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Blotchy finish on AL 6061-T6 "toy" turnings

Angry Blotchy finish on AL 6061-T6 "toy" turnings

Hello all,

My first post. Great site and resource for information, I'm a daily reader. I have a problem on a part I'm making on my cnc lathe. The turned parts are "adult toys" <insert joke here> made from domestic Kaisar or Alcoa Aluminum 6061-T6 in diameters ranging from 1 to 1-1/2 inches. I'm using a Sandvik VCGX high rake insert made for aluminum at 1800 rpm and .005in/rev as a finishing pass on the part. I'm only spinning at 1800 because I'm making these parts in a 3 jaw 10 inch chuck on my Hwacheon lathe. I'll be switching to a collet chuck once I can afford it. I use Blaser 2000 coolant.

My problem is this. I get a good surface with this tool and feed, but the parts have small white hazy spots that show up after machining and anodizing which gets rejected from a very picky customer. I've gone thru everything I can think of. This includes monitoring coolant percentages and ph level. We replaced our coolant and used a bacteria killer in the tank. We then replaced the coolant and added a metal deactivator. Still getting spots.

At this point, I believe the problem is minor impurities in the material I'm getting. To fix the problem the parts either have to be hit with scotch-brite and or bead blasted to remove or hide the spotting...at added time and expense. I'm making 1000 of these parts a week. The spotting is becoming a big problem.

Any insights would be appreciated. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I need a better camera to post a close up picture. I'll try to post a picture later this week.

I believe I have seen the phenomena that you are referring to. It is actually the crystalline state of the material itself. I noticed this when turning parts from 1.5" diameter extruded 6061-T6. I do not know if all sizes of this material exhibit the same condition, but only that one job seemed to really have an exaggerated effect this way. I had to buff the surface with scotch-brite to try to blend and hide it.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

We've experienced this before. Two things that have worked for us are using a little larger stock size (maybe 1/8" in diameter). Or try getting some grey (fine) scotch-brite pads and giving them a little polish afterwards.