585,752 active members*
3,899 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: drip feed

Page 1 of 2 12

drip feed

i am trying to drip feed from a pc to a fanuc om... i actually have a post from before but it was never fixed. think my best approach is to start over fresh. that said i have bought an in line tester so i can tell if the pc and controller are communicating. i am getting an 087 alarm.

what is the first thing i should check...

and does anyone know what lights on my inline tester would light up if the controller was telling the pc to stop sending.

i know my controller will drip feed because i have done it before...
    i have messed with the baud rate...
    i have slide the fifo buffer down on the pc..
    i am almost positive it is a situation where the pc is ignoring the controller or the controller isnt telling the pc to stop...

Check the cable configuration, maybe there is a bad connection.

Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by GPena View Post
    Check the cable configuration, maybe there is a bad connection.

Greg.
    i tested the cable for continuity and everything was fine...

Check the configuration of the shorts in the cables please.

Greg.

Check the configuration of the shorts in the cables please.

Greg.
    I will assume you are asking which wires are jumpered together on the 25 pin side...

4 to 5
    6 to 8 and 20

right now the machine is sitting with a rs232 in line tester... what would i look for if the machine is telling the pc to stop sending.. the tester has the following lights: RTS, CTS, DSR,DRT,CD,TD,RD

Also in the DB9 must have shorts:

7 to 8
    1 to 4 to 6

If you don't have them I am pretty sure that there is the problem.

Greg.

7 to 8
    1 to 4 to 6

Greg.
    i am checking now but i know we have drip fed with this setup before...and the cables were made by a fanuc tech...

7 to 8
    1 to 4 to 6

Greg.
    you will have to pardon my technical terms here...

k...what i have is wires 2 ,3,and 5 going out and the rest in a shorted together in a bundle.. I have no way of knowing what wires are what as they originate from the jack end and not the end that connects to the computer..

also i have a chart here for a fanuc om that says this is the right configuation

25 pin 9 pin
    ]

]
    8 and 20

there are no shorts in the cable..just tested again for continuity...

2 matches 2 and only 2 and so forth ..there are no shorts anywhere other than the ones that are supposed to be there.

If i try to output a program..following the manual
    1 computer to recieve
    2.edit mode
    3.program key
    4.enter program number
    5.out start

the following happens with my inline tester
    1. all lights red at the start
    2. output start pushed all lights go green except for TD and RD..
    3. when output start stops flashing all lights return to red

but i get nothing on the computer end..

Are you using XON/XOFF handshaking for your drip feeding? I went round and round trying get drip feeding to my 10M based mill working. I was trying to use hardware handshaking, thinking that it was superior to XON/OFF, but it turns out that at least the 10M only uses XON/XOFF for incoming files (drip feeding), and hardware handshaking for outgoing (punch) files. Once I enabled XON/XOFF flow control on my DNC software, all of my buffer overflow issues went away.

- Cameron

Quote Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
    Are you using XON/XOFF handshaking for your drip feeding? I went round and round trying get drip feeding to my 10M based mill working. I was trying to use hardware handshaking, thinking that it was superior to XON/OFF, but it turns out that at least the 10M only uses XON/XOFF for incoming files (drip feeding), and hardware handshaking for outgoing (punch) files. Once I enabled XON/XOFF flow control on my DNC software, all of my buffer overflow issues went away.

- Cameron
    yes i am using x on x off for the drip feed. and for the fun of it i tried to output with hardware hand shake but no change.

if i try to drip feed i go

1. dial to tape...all lights in tester are red
    2.hit cycle start..lsk flashes..all lights in tester go green except for TD and RD
    3. send program..RD turns orange Td stays red all others green but alarms out instantly(087)

one other thing i have noticed is i was using a laptop and when i first powered it up and tried to send a program if the cnc wasnt ready it would just feed to no where. But after the first program it would sit and wait till the cnc was ready to receive. But like all things that laptop is no longer with us.

The computer i use now will send to nowhere unless the cnc is ready. I have used this computer to drip feed before. But i am wondering if something may have happened to the computer.

Is there a way to tell if it is the cnc or computer? I am looking for another computer to try at the moment...but is there another way

If your handshaking is working properly, the computer won't send anything until it gets the XON character. If it just blasts away, there is your problem. Have you checked to see if your port is setup for XON/XOFF under windows device manager? On my machine, I tell my DNC program to send the file, then it just sits there waiting for the XON character to be sent when I press cycle start on the mill.

- Cameron

Quote Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
    If your handshaking is working properly, the computer won't send anything until it gets the XON character. If it just blasts away, there is your problem. Have you checked to see if your port is setup for XON/XOFF under windows device manager? On my machine, I tell my DNC program to send the file, then it just sits there waiting for the XON character to be sent when I press cycle start on the mill.

- Cameron
    I just checked the port setting and the are set to x on/x off... there for a while i thought i might of had it figured out. Thanks though...i know it is likely something simple i am over looking.

OM Drip feed setup

the attached PDF may be of some help to you.

Regards STU
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Stu_M3 View Post
    the attached PDF may be of some help to you.

Regards STU
    I have another qestion about the cable pin connections... what is the diference between what i have (see above) and the connections in this pdf.
    I have a pdf here almost exact as this one and the pin connections are entirely different. So if i was to change the connections would i use the full handshake or the null modem connection.

And if i change my handshake to hardware i lose the x on /x off... i just want to understand this before i change my pin connections...because i thought xon/x off was what i needed to be happening.

just another note...at one time i had this connected through an edgeport usb device...but that failed. The pc had a 9 pin connector on the back so i went through that. would the cable be wired diferently for a usb hub then a serial port?
    Could that be the trouble??

Fanuc OM DNC

I use a null modem cable for my OM and set up as follows
    Baud 9600
    Stop bits 2
    Data bits 7
    Parity Even
    Flow control:- software DTR & RTS enabled
    X ON CHARACTER \17
    X OFF CHARACTER \19

I always start the machine first then the transmit and have no problems.

But my series 21-M will run on nothing less than full handshaking Chiron say there is a parameter to change it to null modem but although I found the parameter and changed it it still did'nt make any difference.

Page 1 of 2 12