584,837 active members*
5,374 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

need some advice on entry level machine

Hi All,
    I was hoping to get some good advice from seasoned cnc veterans on what to watch out for on buying an entry level cnc turning center.
    I am leaning towards a Mazak QT15N of approximately 1990 vintage with the Mazatrol T-2 control.Why? Because I like the idea of conversational programing,this machine's size fit's in with what I am accustomed to(bar work up to 2"and small castings),Mazak's seem to have a very good reputation and have parts/service availability,and machines in that era seem affordable to me.So,would this be a good choice?
    Also,what would be the differences between the CAM T-2,and say the T-32 ??
    I don't want to get anything too outdated or difficult to learn.I have some basic programming experience on an old Bandit(don't laugh) vertical mill.
    I want to try and have some background knowledge so I don't BS'd by any dealers.
    Thanks for your time and help.
    CR

The QT-15 is a very nice machine and I started running one when I was 16. It had the T-2 control and we have QT-15's with the T-32, T-plus, fusion and now Matrix. The biggest difference between the T-2 and the T-32 is defining tools. There is one less page on the T-32 which makes it even easier. Other then that, they are basically the same machine. We just sold our T-2 which was still running fine and was 20 years old. We are still running our T-32 which is almost 20 years old and it is running strong. My only advice is to keep the turret nut tight or it will wear out the splined collars eventually. Other then that, they are bullet proof.

Hi Rich,
    Thanks for your input.It reinforces what I've learned since I posted the inquiry.
    My sister -in-law works for a company that runs Mazak VMC's , and she told me their programmer of 20 years experience would be glad to show me the "ropes" once I have my machine in and ready to run.I am really looking forward to getting it.The only problem between now and then is bulldozing out my shop to make room for it!

Get the QT15! This superb Mazak cnc lathe was built for nearly 2 decades (called the QT20 in later years) and is the job shop standard of the world.

Mazatrol is really the cat's meow. Once you learn it, you will throw rocks at a g-code machine.

Mazak has every single part for the QT15 in stock in Florence, Kentucky. Not necessarily cheap, but all machine tool builders are proud of their parts.

good luck,

greg