585,690 active members*
4,554 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Relays

Relays

What are the max current/voltage ratings for the spare M function relays on the Haas main board?
    What's the best way to set these up, with another relay in series or can they be used to directly switch 24v or 110v relays like on pneumatic valves?

I have been told you can run right off the board but i would not trust it, haveing external power will safe guard your main board
    I'm not lazy..., I'm efficient!
    HAAS GR-408

I have a TL-2 that i am using a few Numatics valves on. I am using the 110 VAC version of the valves. My HFO recomended that I use the AC valves because I do not need to install a circuit to snuff out the inductive load that is generated when a DC circuit switches off. Using the AC circuit, I was able to wire directly to the relays on the control board. This worked great and was the simplest way to do it. I picked up the 110 AC off of the outlet that is on the control cabinent of the machine. I do not remember that amperage capacity of the relays but your HFO service department could tell you. In any case if the load that you want to switch is too large just use the Haas relay to switch a larger relay to switch your load.

Quote Originally Posted by AMCTony View Post
    My HFO recomended that I use the AC valves because I do not need to install a circuit to snuff out the inductive load that is generated when a DC circuit switches off.
    I think he is a little mis-informed, AC fed inductive devices can produce just as much back EMF as DC coils.
    It is customary to put either a MOV (Metal Oxide Varistor) or a R/C snubber across the coils.
    The nice feature of DC solenoids is they do not immediately burn out if the armature or spool does not shift or is forced over manually when the coil happens to be energised.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Haas Mcode relays are rated 3amps at 120vac. Use snubber protection with AC or DC inductive loads. NOTE: The Mfinish input to the machine is 12vdc/npn
    -Ron