584,808 active members*
5,169 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Contemplating tearing into a sweo drive

Contemplating tearing into a sweo drive

We have a sweo drive that crapped out on us here and I am contemplating just tearing into it and testing components until I find the issue. Does anyone have a list of common parts that go out on these? It is from a 1994 3016 with rigid tap.
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

Well what am I looking at here. I see that I have two great big Capacitors. The fuses are all fine and I am thinking about just buying a couple of capacitors but they are about $100 a piece and it is just beyond my ability to test these....how do you test capacitors?
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

Pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boggies 032.jpg   boggies 033.jpg   boggies 035.jpg  

usually but not always its a transistor
    You can do a search online and they will tell you how to check caps.

The problem with checking boards and other componets is that you just can't hook a meter up to each side of a resistor and tell if its good or not when its on a board. you have to unsolder it and check them.

when checking boards there are test points and certain areas where you can check them, that is usually kept secret, plus you need certain test equipment to check them, then you run into the problem were something might only be bad if it has power (even if all the the parts check 100% ok)

Delw

Yep...sending it in