585,602 active members*
3,663 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Controller parallel port connected via Ethernet (?)

Controller parallel port connected via Ethernet (?)

This is going to be a long shot...but does anyone know if it would be possible to talk to your controller/breakout box's parallel port via an ethernet connected print server?

Here's an example of a tiny print server I use on my home laser printer, so every computer (including wireless) can use this printer, anytime:

Netgear PS101

Say I'm using Mach2...I bet it needs a physical print port to open and write to in teletype mode, right? So, there is no way this idea would work...

Just thought it might be neat to have a network or wireless connection to a CNC machine -- with no dedicated PC at the machine itself. Maybe if not using a print server, then some other type of interface (?)

-Chris

Some of the print servers can be made to look like a COM port on the computer. I have only seen these in serial types. If you used serial to centronics conveter on the end of that it might work. A driver that took serial in would definetely work.

Instresting idea. Your router run from my computer way over here.

Yes you can. But no, it will not be useful to drive a stepper or servo. The reason is it will not run in realtime. A printer will take the data as it comes, and assemble it to a useable result. if it comes in lumps it doesn't matter. To a stepper or servo drive it does.

This is a possiability but it would be software dependent. There is no reason for the data to come in clumps that I can see. The message to the drives will be small and as long as the whole message gets to the drives at one time everything will be fine. This should happens as the network packet is bigger than the message. It is a serial port and it should be treated as a port. All data sent to it goes out the port as it comes in.

Have you tested this?