586,024 active members*
3,627 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Recommended cooling time between cuts?

Is there a rule of thumb for figuring out what is a good time to delay between cuts to maximize the life of your torch and consumables?

With my Powermax 1000, the cooling air flows for a max of 10 seconds after each cut, so obviously there wouldn't be much benefit in going longer than that, but what about the other end of the scale? I'd like to begin the next cut as soon as possible to minimize the time per job, but not if it is going to degrade my consumables.

I would guess the amount of time required would depend on the metal thickness and amperage, length of the last cut, etc. so this may need to be adjusted to fit the current job, but what's the best way to do this? Take a reading on the tip with an infrared thermometer and see how long it takes for it to drop to a certain temp?

What is everyone else doing in regards to delay time between cuts? And, is this actually important, or am I inventing problems where none exists?

I think your inventing problems where they dont exist. keep in mind the powermax units are not 100% duty, and i dont think that has to do with the consumables but more with overheating the unit when cutting at highest amperage available.

Quote Originally Posted by MoparJon View Post
    Is there a rule of thumb for figuring out what is a good time to delay between cuts to maximize the life of your torch and consumables?

With my Powermax 1000, the cooling air flows for a max of 10 seconds after each cut, so obviously there wouldn't be much benefit in going longer than that, but what about the other end of the scale? I'd like to begin the next cut as soon as possible to minimize the time per job, but not if it is going to degrade my consumables.

I would guess the amount of time required would depend on the metal thickness and amperage, length of the last cut, etc. so this may need to be adjusted to fit the current job, but what's the best way to do this? Take a reading on the tip with an infrared thermometer and see how long it takes for it to drop to a certain temp?

What is everyone else doing in regards to delay time between cuts? And, is this actually important, or am I inventing problems where none exists?

Just cut, don't think about that.

We have run all day production on a 1000 with no "cooling time" other than the normal duty cycle between cuts (rapid times) and the loading and unloading of material. Granted it was all 10ga but there were a lot of detailed cuts in each sheet. It's the electronics in the cabinet that start to get hot. First a fan inside turn on then if it still heats up the unit will finally shut down (turn off the torch and quit cutting). The prurge air at the tip will run for a few seconds after a cut to keep cooling the tip but that is not an indication of the internal temp of the electronics.

Thanks!

Thanks for the posts, everyone! Guess I won't worry about that. The thing that started me wondering about it was the marketing for the Powermax 600 lists as a benefit the fact that the cooling air continues to flow after the cut to increase torch life, so I wondered if a longer delay on the 1000 would be beneficial as well.

I took the delay down to a second, and used an IR thermometer to check the torch during the cut process, and its temperature didn't seem to be any different than when there was a longer delay between cuts, so I'll just leave it on the shorter delay and let the duty cycle itself be my guide.

Thanks again!