584,837 active members*
5,590 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: activity

Page 1 of 2 12

Arrow activity here towards IC engines

Hello,

Sure was hoping for more activity here towards IC engines. I would enjoy seeing other's accomplishments since mine are at an all time low after starting on a mill-NC conversion. I had limited myself to one and two cylinder engines due to my total anguish of any sort of production part making; the NC should help with that!

I've attached (attempted) a photo of my favorite engine. This engine turned out so well that I use it as a test bed for carburators for other engines. This is before it was installed on a stand.

Thanks,
    Bill C.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails resize0005.jpg  

Wow:

Fantastic!!
    I am at the limits of my ability keeping my lawn mower B&S running, never mind building a working IC engine from scratch.
    I, too, am disappointed in the volume of activity here. I would like to see other peoples work as motivation and inspiration for my own feeble attempts.

robotic regards,

Tom

Not many in the I.C comunity know about the site, thanks for your support.

Maverick engine

Here is a photo of an engine I started making this winter. Its called the MAVERICK ENGINE. Has a .750 bore and a 1 inch stroke. Still need to make the busy side of the engine. Valves, carb, ect..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails engine1.jpg  
    My little piece of the web!
    http://users.adelphia.net/~wjdupont

Some Parts

Here is a picture of some of the parts. Crank, bushings, cyclinder, sleeve, etc..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails engine2.jpg  

Picture Of Crank

THe peice of steel on the middle is what I start with. and the end results is the crank at the bottom of the page. Its pretty neat watching it take shape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails engine3.jpg  

I think it's cool what you guys are doing. I have a question for you Bill, Do you not need a counterweight on that crank to reduce engine vibration like full size engines?

I hope this forum picks up. It's a very interesting subject.

Eric
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

Balsaman,

The picture of the crankshaft is not mine. That type engine is slow turning so the flywheels usually carry the counterweights for engine balance.

I'm happy with what I see; I'm eager to keep some interest going here among us for these interesting engines. Please let me know if I can be of assistance to any of you - glad to help.

I have other engines that I will send photos for... The 'hit and miss' engine that I'm working toward is a Red Wing and have a photo or two to send along. I keep buying engine casting sets hoping that some day I can take the time to complete them...

Bill C.

Bill, sorry, yes, I think Woodnack's name is "William"...?? That's who I was asking anyways..

Eric

Balsaman,
    Ya what Bill. C said. The engine should only be turning around 400 or 500 rpm. I am going to drill holes in my fly wheel too. Its still kind of heavy. Its made out Nickle Copper. More Nickle then Copper. Really sucky stuff to machine, Very hard! This is my first IC engine. And what I am learning is that it takes a very long time to machine each part! I guesss thats what makes it fun. I have put the project up till next winter when I have more time to spend on it...

Look at Balsamans pictures.....

Nice Engine!

This really isn't the place for 'MICE" as its called. Most of us like to do it all by hand, so the CNC forum isn't that much of a fit. As time progresses, I'm sure making this stuff with CNC will be ever more popular if a little less romantic. There are several other Yahoo forums (4) that all have good stuff already, though not CNC focused. If we posted and shared our 3d models and CNC stuff here, it would be a useful addition, but otherwise the other forums are already available... Just my .02
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my jan02 piston design.jpg  

This fourm is not just for CNC and is WAY better than Yahoo! All are welcome to post here so tell your friends.

I have made a couple of IC engines before I too was sucked into the black hole that is CNC. This is a picture of my Hodgson 9 radial engine being motored on the lathe with an active oil pump providing the lubrication. With a new 9-cylinder engine, even with some precision in the job, there are significant frictional forces to be overcome, and 15 minutes at 800 RPM in the lathe did the job. The oil came out black.

The other engine is the 1/6 scale dehavilland Cirrus which was published in Strictly IC a few years ago.

Neither of these used CNC in any way. I completely redesigned the Hodson 9 heads to use my own sand-cast and machined heads, as I didn't like the stock heads.

I'd like to use my mill to either machine heads directly, or to machine waxes for a lost-wax cast process.

Swede
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails radial.jpg  

Originally posted by Swede
    I have made a couple of IC engines before I too was sucked into the black hole that is CNC. This is a picture of my Hodgson 9 radial engine being motored on the lathe with an active oil pump providing the lubrication. With a new 9-cylinder engine, even with some precision in the job, there are significant frictional forces to be overcome, and 15 minutes at 800 RPM in the lathe did the job. The oil came out black.

The other engine is the 1/6 scale dehavilland Cirrus which was published in Strictly IC a few years ago.

Neither of these used CNC in any way. I completely redesigned the Hodson 9 heads to use my own sand-cast and machined heads, as I didn't like the stock heads.

I'd like to use my mill to either machine heads directly, or to machine waxes for a lost-wax cast process.

Swede

Well, Swede (you are the pilot right?) If you are the guy I'm thinking, then you generously gave me a casting for the distributor cap of my Hodgeson 9!... I haven't progressed too far yet, but I have all the materials. I got sidetracked on redesigning my Hercules project, building a cam/crank grinder and converting my stuff to cnc/ballscrews (and still trying to keep it manual too)...

As soon as I finish redesigning the hercules, I'll get cracking on the 9'. After that, I'll build a full size 7 cyl. to power my kit plane (60% scale FW190). I'll no doubt use some of your tips on the Hodgeson... How hard was it to cas your own heads? - I don't like the 'stock' ones either.

I just finished my first 3d model of the Herc' head...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails untitled-1.jpg  

Nice parts!

Eric

Yes, outstanding! Eric understates....and that 9 cylinder radial! ....drooling..

You are correct. It's really art.

Eric

Thank you guys! The engine has been completed for a while - I run it occasionally, but have no plans to fly it.

Spinnetti - I'm glad you have the cap and will hopefully put it to use. For those in the dark, this engine originally calls for a distributor cap machined from linen phenolic stock, expensive and very messy to machine, and the end result looks pretty crude. I decided to cast some caps from black urethane plastic. Made a mold from silicone rubber and cranked out a few.

http://www.5bears.com/casting.htm

With the mold made I could make bunches of these fast and easy, and sent a few out to those who requested them.

So you're going to fly a 60% FW with a homebrew radial?!!:banana: That is so cool! I love the FW, a totally underrated WWII fighter that could give the P51 fits when well flown. That is my goal in life, to get cracking on a "real" airplane. I fly point A to point B for a living, and ultimately want something that will either fly upside down, fly REALLY fast (turbine?), or have two wings and a lot of character. Since I have young kids now, I guess that stuff will come later.

Yeah it'd be fun to get some real activity going on this forum. If I can get smart with Rhino, maybe I can machine some heads.

Wink

Originally posted by Swede
    Thank you guys! The engine has been completed for a while - I run it occasionally, but have no plans to fly it.

Spinnetti - I'm glad you have the cap and will hopefully put it to use. For those in the dark, this engine originally calls for a distributor cap machined from linen phenolic stock, expensive and very messy to machine, and the end result looks pretty crude. I decided to cast some caps from black urethane plastic. Made a mold from silicone rubber and cranked out a few.

http://www.5bears.com/casting.htm

With the mold made I could make bunches of these fast and easy, and sent a few out to those who requested them.

So you're going to fly a 60% FW with a homebrew radial?!!:banana: That is so cool! I love the FW, a totally underrated WWII fighter that could give the P51 fits when well flown. That is my goal in life, to get cracking on a "real" airplane. I fly point A to point B for a living, and ultimately want something that will either fly upside down, fly REALLY fast (turbine?), or have two wings and a lot of character. Since I have young kids now, I guess that stuff will come later.

Yeah it'd be fun to get some real activity going on this forum. If I can get smart with Rhino, maybe I can machine some heads.
    In 8 more weeks, kid #2 arrives, so I'm sure many of my dreams will slow down, but I have too many projects anyway.. been using the holidays to try to catch up on as much as I can. I also have a race car, and model airplanes.. time to weed down maybe

Here's sort of a pic of the FW..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscn0641 (small).jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12