585,735 active members*
4,692 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > help wiring a power supply please..

help wiring a power supply please..

I am in the processes of redoing the electronics on a old router. I am trying to reuse many of the components, including most of the power supply.

The primary of the transformer has inputs for 220 v phase and 0 v (i assume this is the neutral)

The trouble is that the household electrical connection (outlet) I was thinking of using was originally put in for a welder and has two prongs at 120 and one ground/ neutral. So how would I get 220 and 0 from these two?

I have the old router manual and it says the machine wants 220 vac /50-60z 1500w and that it should be hooked up with a phase wire, neutral wire and ground wire connection.

Thanks for your help!

Justin2

It sounds like the manual is written for other than N.A. the UK for example uses 240 with one side a grounded neutral.
    If the present set up does not have one side of the primary TXFR connected to ground, which it most likely does not, then just connect each primary input to the 240 1 phase outlet connections.
    If the welder outlet has three connections, this is most likely 240 and ground, if there was a neutral then it would be four connections.
    In your case you do not need a neutral, just the two 240 & ground to the frame.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks for your time Al,

So i did that and it looks like i am getting 240 into the transformer, as well as 43 vdc out of the supply. Will 240 eventually hurt a 220 transformer? Sounds like most components are designed for plus or minus 10 percent. At 220 the thing was rated to put out 10 amps at 27 vac, so am I right to believe that it is putting out about 10 percent more amps as well as about 10 percent more voltage? I would measure the current but I don't really want to blow the fuse on my multimeter.

Thanks.

The transformer will only supply the current demanded of it, IOW if your load is low, the current is low.
    240v should not hurt the TFXR, they are pretty rugged devices.
    You are getting a higher DC value than the AC due to peak voltage and smoothing.
    DC = AC x 1.414.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.