585,715 active members*
3,837 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Solved - Cannot get C11G breakout board to enable the outputs!?

Solved - Cannot get C11G breakout board to enable the outputs!?

I'm going nuts over here trying to make this C11G (revision 5.4 if that matters) turn on!

The worst thing is, I'm pretty sure I have it hooked up correctly. I attached a picture of how it is hooked up (attachment #1)...

I've connected the board to a 5v power supply (black wires at the bottom of the pic), hardwired the EN plug to the 5v plug right next to it (red loop at the top left of pic), and wired my 3 gecko 203Vs to pins 2 through 7 (gray wires on the left). Of course the breakout board is connected to my computer using a parallel port cable. The jumper is on pins 2 and 3 of the charge pump header.

The only light that stays lit is the power LED next to the 5v inputs/outputs.

I'm using Mach3, I have it setup the most basic way I can find (pins 2 through 7 (port 1) are for X, Y, and Z step and direction). Pin 15 set to E-Stop (and configured correctly). Pin 17 is set to charge pump output. I'm pretty sure these settings are correct, but I'm willing to try anything if it might help.

Here's the kicker... Occasionally the "Output Enable" LED will *blink* along with the lights for pin numbers: 2, 3, 4, 6, and 17. I took a pic with them lit (attachment #2).
    They'll consistently blink when I hit TAB to open the Jog Control, they also blink when I hit "Apply" in the configuration, and sometimes just by moving the mouse courser around the screen. Oh, they also blink for a split second when I plug in the 5v power adapter. The only way I can keep them lit is to hold down the TAB key, repeatedly opening and closing the Jog Control.

Note that this is the only time these light will come on, it doesn't seem to matter whether I have the EN connector has a 5v input or not; whether the charge pump is on or off in Mach3; or whether the charge pump jumper is set to 1+2, 2+3, or removed.

Did I get a bad board?

P.S. Oh yeah, the gecko 203Vs LEDs all light up "green" (which I'm pretty sure means they're hooked up right) and the motors "hold" when the geckos are plugged in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5901.jpg   IMG_5905.jpg  

Question

Hirudin,

Are you 100% sure you have a straight through DB25 cable, alot of computer stores sell null cables and pass them off by mistake.

Jeff...

Question

Are you loading the C11G XML?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Helllo Hirudin,

You need to chance output jumper between 2-3, because G203 needs ground to commom terminal.

G203V

-7A 80VDC 10-Microstep Drive
    -Optoisolator COMMON is ground

I see a pin 3 in yours first picture, because it´s not covered with jumber.

Juka

Juka is correct, the common jumper needs to be on pins 2 and 3

Very good eye Juka!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C11G.jpg  

AAAHHHH! I feel smart... Thanks Juka and jalessi!!

That's the jumper I kept calling the "Charge Pump Jumper". I must have looked on the board about 5 times but could only find a single jumper, so I assumed it was the charge pump jumper... Now I see the other jumper, sitting right next to (what I'm guessing is) the charge pump chip...

I haven't actually tried it again (I am now though). I'll come back and post how it went.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5907.jpg  

I disabled the charge pump and the lights that would only blink before turned on. But, unfortunately my motors still don't turn...
    Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Hirudin,

Are you 100% sure you have a straight through DB25 cable, alot of computer stores sell null cables and pass them off by mistake.

Jeff...
    Nope, not sure at all... In fact, this cable probably isn't right. Pins 1, 14, 22, 23, and 25 connect together, but the other pins do not go straight through.

Luckily that store is open tomor... later today.

One last update...

I got a new cable (an IEEE 1284) and most is well now. Charge pump still isn't working like I think it should, but that's something that I can fix later.

c11g board

i was reading ur thread and i am having the same issue power light is on but no output leds light at all on my board. any suggestions would be appreacited. im running the 203v and the revision 8.1 bob.