584,812 active members*
5,395 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Stepper motor only turns one way

Stepper motor only turns one way

I bought a kit from keling inc to convert a X3 mill to cnc. I wired everything up according to their wiring diagram to bench test the motors(I don't have motor mounts for my mill yet). But when I hookup to mach3 and try and jog the motor will only turn one way and will not reverse. I've double checked all my wiring and can't find the problem. Any ideas? Thanks!

Gray
    My advice is worth less then you paid for it.

Hi Gray! Open Mach3. Click on config. Click on ports & Pins. Click on Motor outputs. Step pins should be set to 2, 4, 6, 8. Direction pins should be set to 3, 5, 7, 9. All axes should be set to port 1.

CR.

cr, YOUR THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!! she turns both ways now.

Gray

Glad I could be of help, Gray. What motors/drivers/ power supply are you using?

CR.

For the X and Y axis I'm using NEMA 23 425 oz-in steppers from Kelling. I'm using a NEMA 34 640 oz-in stepper for the Z axis. The driver is a KL-6050 from kelling.

EDIT-Power supply is a KL-320-36. 36 volts 8.8 amps

Gray

That's not bad. You always have the option to go up to 48V if it runs slow for you. I assume your 640 is this one:

http://kelinginc.net/KL34H280-45-8A.pdf

CR.

Speaking of running slow, when I'm jogging the motor seems to be running incredibly slow. Is there a setting in Mach3 I need to change? My jog rate is set at 100%...

Hopefully I'll be ordering my motor mounts tomorrow from cnc fusion. If I find I'm moving slow I'll defininetly look into boosting the power supply...thanks for that tip btw...I probably would have assumed I needed bigger motors.

What motor do I have? That's a good question. According to the page below I should have the motor you listed, however, the motor I've actually have is a KL34H295-43-8A. After you asked I looked on Kelling's website and can't seem to find it anywhere. So who know's what I've actually got?????

http://www.kelinginc.net/Three34XCNCPackage.html

Gray