585,578 active members*
4,132 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Dead Fanuc 0M

Hi I have a Leblond RMC55 with a dead 0M controller, I've checked power supplies, there all good, fuses are good. I've reseated all the boards and connectors. When turnrd on there is nothing I can do on the front panel to get any reaction from the machine. On the main PCB, the only LED that is lit is L2

I've attached an image to show what is on the screen.

Does anybody have any ideas what else I can check?

Thanks in advance for any help, Dave

Try powering up holding in the "Reset" and "Delete" pushbuttons.
    This will clear the memory.

Quote Originally Posted by cncdiag View Post
    I've tried everything, except that, doesn't that clear the parameters too? I thought I had tried that, but it isn't in my notes.

Taht will clear everything

Taht will clear everything
    How would that help? Could it be a memory problrm?

I powered up holding the Reset/delete buttons, no difference.

The screen is still the same, I wonder if the keyboard is seeing the controller?

I think you may have a bad control board.
    We can test all your boards or you can call 813-983-1870
    CNC Diagnostic LLC

Hi all

I had the same problem and I already repaired. First my machine problem with "reset key" and the second problem is memory PCB .I already changed it and my machine OK

Did you solve the problem yet Dave?

The display on the screen is typical of a watchdog alarm 920 or sometimes an alarm 930 CPU error.
    The older master PCB for FS-0 has a WD (watchdog) LED and the newer FS-0 Models C and D have six LEDs.LED1 to LED6 (LED4 is normally for a watchdog error).

The problem may be due to corrupted memory which can be cleared by pressing RESET and DELETE while power is being switched on. Alarms 100, 417, 427, 437 etc should then appear. You should then re-input all data (Parameters, Diagnostics, ATC macro programs etc.)

The cause might also be due defective hardware. You can try to swap the axes control card, master pcb or PSU from another working machine. BTW the axes control PCB also has a watchdog LED which lights up in such an event.
    Just remember the older FS-0 master PCB does not have a super capacitor to retain the memory once the battery connector is removed (anything with A16B-1010-0XXX should be swapped with caution).

The memory cards of the newer FS-0 are fitted with super caps (A16B-2201-0101) and can retain memory for up to 72hours in my experience.

It would be a good idea to confirm the operation of the RESER and DELETE keys as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hrh View Post
    Did you solve the problem yet Dave?

The display on the screen is typical of a watchdog alarm 920 or sometimes an alarm 930 CPU error.
    The older master PCB for FS-0 has a WD (watchdog) LED and the newer FS-0 Models C and D have six LEDs.LED1 to LED6 (LED4 is normally for a watchdog error).

The problem may be due to corrupted memory which can be cleared by pressing RESET and DELETE while power is being switched on. Alarms 100, 417, 427, 437 etc should then appear. You should then re-input all data (Parameters, Diagnostics, ATC macro programs etc.)

The cause might also be due defective hardware. You can try to swap the axes control card, master pcb or PSU from another working machine. BTW the axes control PCB also has a watchdog LED which lights up in such an event.
    Just remember the older FS-0 master PCB does not have a super capacitor to retain the memory once the battery connector is removed (anything with A16B-1010-0XXX should be swapped with caution).

The memory cards of the newer FS-0 are fitted with super caps (A16B-2201-0101) and can retain memory for up to 72hours in my experience.

It would be a good idea to confirm the operation of the RESER and DELETE keys as well.
    hrh,

It's still not fixed, I have boxed the boards ready to send out to get diagnosed. The Main PCB is a newer model A20B-2002-0450, the only LED lit was LED2, which I think justs indicates an error is present. I tried dumping the memory by disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes, I thought that would be enough to dump the memory, I didn't realise there were capacitors on the main board that might retain memory longer. I didn't check whether the RESET and DELETE operate correctly. Might try that tommorrow if I get time.

Dave,

Sorry to hear that you still did not manage to fix the problem.
    L2 is generally lit for programming alarms or other resettable conditions.

Please keep us up to date. I am very interested to know what the cause of the problem is. I suspect that either the memory, master or axes control cards may be faulty. I have also found that the Input/Output card causes a problem on the data and address buses with similar effects but this easy to repair.

Good luck.

Hein

Apologies for the very overdue update.

The parameters were scrambled. I've been using Ni-Cad batteries to keep the memory in the machine. They lost their charge and the parameters were lost. I use Alkalines now, apparently they are good for a year or more before requiring replacing

Times go, the machin is to old :wee

perhaps closer to see the grand final a machine funeral.
    When you see that every possible attempt, just makes the machine more tired o tired, it's time to say goodbye! Gather staff Ocg pull down the voltage to 100v for a minute and then turn it off completely.

This was one of the LeBlond Makino FANUC OM's. I've not seen that many of this edition but it's nice to see a good pic of it in the first post

Just makes me wonder what was so different in the LeBlond Makino FANUC from that of the standard FANUC 0M.

I have seen the title in the yellow bar as 0-M, O-M, OM and 0M. and also as a light gray, white, or dark gray (w/white lettering) also General Numeric OM or 0M. is there a difference with the "-" added between the series/system and the type "M".

Greg

Yeah, that's ok too. I've done a few of these for friends and used FANUC controls.

The machine itself might look ugly but you'll at least have a great looking control.

Greg